How do you remove the ashtray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, it sounds complicated, but it really is easy. Mine came with the dual outlet 12v and not the ashtray. I just switched them out last weekend. It took a total of about 30 minutes. Look on ebay for roversland.inc they usually have good deals on things like ashtrays and such.

I just did mine. The forum as well as internet search were my friends on this. Astray was $30.00 off eBay. Took around 40 minutes for first time-just being careful. It's stupid simple how everything snaps together like a big model kit! You would think you would not have to remove the center console but the bottom clip on the ashtray assembly will not clear unless you do so.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried reaching in there with a flexible magnet?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My little retractable cup holder on the passenger side did the same thing.

cuschan

Reaction score
had the same thing happen to me. It's a little cylinder piece about the diameter of a dime and 3/4 long. To fix this, I pulled out the removable ask tray, drilled about 10 small holes in the back of the non-removable ashtray -- big enough to remove the piece.

Now that I have it out, the ash tray comes out and goes in. Problem now is the removable ash tray isn't as tight and the pressure when pulling it out causes the non-removable piece to just detach all the time. That said, either live with it or put a few dabs of glue on it... or tape on it to create enough friction to get it to slide.

Way easier than ripping apart the rover

Time to complete: 20 minutes
Cost: Nothing
Tools: drill, 1/8 bit, small vacuum to clean up, tape, needle nose pliers and large paper clip (fold 1/4 back aways to jimmy the cylinder)

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happened to mine also but since I don't ever use the ashtray I just wedged some folded up cardboard to keep it shut

jeremyderek

Reaction score
I just fixed mine and my wife's ashtrays. They each had different issues. Both seem to be the only common issues that you can have. Mine would not shut all the way due to the spring breaking free from the plastic, and falling behind the tray. Hers would not stay closed and just spring back out when pressed in. It is pretty easy to get the ashtrays out, if you just follow the instructions that were provided. The hardest part for me was getting the cigarette lighter out of the old ashtray housing to put it in the new. You have to use something like a small screw driver or a knife as I did to get the green plastic part to release from around the metal portion of the lighter. There is also a connection that does not seem to be connected by the factory that I went on and hooked up so that the light works around the lighter.

From what I've found, you should be able to get the inner ashtray holder out of the housing without removing the entire thing if your goal is to simply remove the broken spring so that you can close the ash tray all the way. Here's how, remove the actual ash tray by simply pulling while it is in the open position. Now you are left with the inner portion that slides in and out. There are tabs on both sides of the slide rails that engage tabs on the housing. If you use a screw driver to pry the housing slightly away from the rails, then the tabs will disengage and that side will pull out slightly further. Now do the same on the other side, and the entire part will come all the way out.

By doing this, I was able to use a new ashtray assembly to fix my wife's, and combine her good housing w/ spring intact and my sliding portion with a good catch tab to make a working tray for mine as well.

I hope this doesn't come off too confusing to read, let me know if you'd like anything clarified.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99