How to change an LR4 tire with a Hi Lift Jack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to change my right rear tire today. (Sidewall cut while on the trail yesterday - tire didn't blow but I wanted to change it before towing our trailer home.)

My stock, OEM scissor jack was destroyed earlier this year. I carry a Hi Lift jack but had not used it yet. I tried to use it to raise the right rear tire by lifting from from just in front of the wheel well (on some nerf bars I have installed). But as the LR4 raised up, the angle of the Hi Lift changed and nearly pressed against the side of the LR4. I couldn't figure out how to get the angle such that it wouldn't eventually impact the car. How am I supposed to do this?

(Fortunately, the maintenance guy at the RV park came by with a big jack and we got it done in short order.)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A high lift requires, as you found, proper mount points such as in the front or rear bumpers. In order to do that though, they must be aftermarket steel obviously or some other custom modification to a factory bumper like a steel slot into them directly attacehd to the actual bumper steel underneath.

Using on the side can work but as you found, it's tricky. I don't know what bars you have but mine have a wide offset 2" or bigger tube that would just barely work if you get the angle started correctly.

The big thing though is using on the best ground surface, vehicle angles, safety in general.

I have 2 other options that are with me if I'm towing because there's plenty of space and a trailer can be annoying to swap a wheel off too, especially if you loose 2 at the same time on a tandem on the same side....

I like to have with me the high lift but also these items:
1-simplest, specifically on a tandem trailer, ramps because you can tow it onto the ramp leaving the bad wheel hanging free.

2-a low shop floor jack. There are some in aluminum that still have a high load but are smaller and weigh a lot less than my two big steel ones. This can work very nicely under either a trailer axle which is very low on an enclosed low rider 7x12. Or, it will also tuck nicely, and safely, under the lower control arm on an LR4. Now, ideally you plan ahead and have a nice interface material between the jack head and the frame parts.

The low, long arm floor jack is nice though because you can get it anywhere under the axles while safely using the long lever arm out on the side. It's also a wide base so in softer ground it should stay put. Though you could put under it a bridging ladder or a base plate like the one made for the high lift.

3-Bushranger X jack, which is a big tough air bag. I've never needed to use mine but it's not too heavy and will actually tuck away pretty well.

With any of the above, you can augment their functional limitations by having a couple other items along that are useful for various other purposes too. I like anything I bring to have at least 2 uses, ideally 3 or more ;)

For instance in your situation, something to put between the high lift bar and the vehicle body ? How about a bridging ladder standing up between it and body with a towel against the paint. Or, the same item under it's foot if in snow or sand or mud. As 2000 lbs goes into its base, you don't want it starting to shift!
Same waffle board or bridging ladder could go under a low floor jack to increase it's starting height, and provide solid support.

I have these cool 3 section folding wheel chocks that are hinged to allow a triangle in chock form, unfold into long flat traction device, or zig zag fold into 4" thick high lift base, or to go under a wheel when roof camping to level the vehicle.

I would actually resort to all of the other ideas before hauling out the high lift and trying to use it to lift the lr3/4 so high enough to pull that suspension up. Frankly, the high lift is cool, but for most normal situations, there's a quicker and safer way to lift one wheel for changing.

These but no amount of googling is bringing up any current source or even web photos of it in use! :

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/T_M_ChockTracks_TR26.cfm

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with jwest on everything, you really do need some proper jacking points. This is where the Tactical 4x4 sliders, Kaymar rear bumper (it has 2 built-in hi lift points), and front steel bumpers are great, it makes using the hi lift a lot easier (and safer!!!).

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am LOL! So after changing my right rear wheel yesterday because the tire has some (hopefully minor) sidewall damage - which was the catalyst for my original post - we had another flat out on the trail today! I tried to use the X Jack but I couldn't get it positioned correctly. I tried the high lift but it is jamming after going up about 6 inches. Fortunately someone came by who had a bottle jack. After putting it in the wrong place and likely breaking something just inside and in front of my left rear tire I found the jack point on the axle and got the tire changed - putting the one with the sidewall damage on in its place. Then we eased our way back to camp while what I suspect is the compressor would occasionally make strange noises similar to going over a slightly rippled/bumpy pavement.

I am not excited about pulling our trailer back home tomorrow. So I'll take my wife home, change to my stock wheels/tires and come back and get the trailer (about 3 hours drive from home.) Next spring before off road season I will look at new tires. I will also abandon the hi lift until I get better jack points. I'll replace the OEM scissor jack this week. And I'll add a bottle jack in just in case. After that I should never have another flat tire!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next spring before off road season I will look at new tires. I will also abandon the hi lift until I get better jack points. I'll replace the OEM scissor jack this week. And I'll add a bottle jack in just in case. After that I should never have another flat tire!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry for the hassles, Dan, but your positive attitude and sense of humor are always appreciated! Good expedition mentality.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not excited about pulling our trailer back home tomorrow. So I'll take my wife home, change to my stock wheels/tires and come back and get the trailer (about 3 hours drive from home.)

If you were up here I'd come rescue you ;)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry for the hassles, Dan, but your positive attitude and sense of humor are always appreciated! Good expedition mentality.

Thanks. So much to learn. Between the LR4, off roading in general and a new trailer my head is spinning and in the process I am making mistakes and/or exposing gaps. But that's how we learn - or at least that is how I learn. And it helps that I am blessed with a patient and mildly amused wife. :biggrin:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were up here I'd come rescue you ;)

And if I were I would certainly take you up on that! I may get up that way one of these days. It looks like one of our sons may decide to remain in Seattle after his residency. Maybe even marry and settle down there.

As it was I discovered that I only appear to have damaged the plastic cover for the compressor. I removed the cover and all seems to be good.

As for tires, the one tire I feared was damaged on the sidewall was actually OK. But the other one with a puncture, though repairable, had been driven on too long as I had to find a safe place to change and was destroyed on the inside. All good as this is an excuse to switch to something stronger in the Spring. I'm looking at the BFG KO2s - probably in a 265/60/R18.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just buy the hi-lift wheel lift and some pieces of wood. No kidding. But the hi lift is too unsteady on sliders and I would never use it there as the dynamics change too much as you lift on a sliding surface. Rear or front bumper if you can make sure it is parked (i.e. in the Kaymar with 2 perches for lifting). But you will ned all 48" or 60 if you are running larger tires.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just buy the hi-lift wheel lift and some pieces of wood. No kidding. But the hi lift is too unsteady on sliders and I would never use it there as the dynamics change too much as you lift on a sliding surface. Rear or front bumper if you can make sure it is parked (i.e. in the Kaymar with 2 perches for lifting). But you will ned all 48" or 60 if you are running larger tires.

Yup, I thought I mentioned it too but the easiest thing, and fairly safe due to only lifting 7" or so, is using the wheel lift attachment.

You could have 8-10 sections of 2x6 or 2x8 for more stability, and just place under the control arm as needed. Swap wheel, lift another inch, remove blocks, lower, done.

This is how I also use the wheel chocks. They are about 8" stacked.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM