I did a thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
26.6v? Isn’t that a bit high? I have not checked my output, but I’m guessing it’s 13-14V

My previous 100W panel was putting out 21.xV. Hence why you need to use a solar controller to regulate the power fluctuations and charging output. 26.6V is actually pretty high output and most low-end pwm and mppt controllers can only do up to 25V solar panel input, but the panel is a 110W panel. A very few, pricey, controllers in this type of application will do up to 28V.

I'm currently running GoPower solar controller GP-PWM-UL to charge both starting and aux batts with a single controller, but it doesn't do dc-dc charging. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-amp-solar-controller-bluetooth/. To include alternator charging, I added a battery isolator/relay. The problem with this is that our "smart" charging system will only put out 13.xV-14.xV when the starting battery drops below 70% and maintain a 12.xV if it's above 70%. Which means, alternator charging to the secondary isn't always engaged.

I'm thinking about switching over to the redarc bddc25d, just because of our stupid "smart" charging system. https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger. However, I lose out on charging both batteries.

Or maybe, I should just get a dc-dc charger with built-in battery isolator to replace my current battery isolator/relay.

Update time: My new Lensun hood panel puts out lots of power 26.6V. Lensun worked with me to get fitment just right. The panel didn't come with any mounting tape, but recommended 3M VHB. I had to remove my LPPT tape to switch over to the 3M VHB 5952. 3M VHB 5952 works like a charm. I just did a 2500 mile trip from San Diego, CA to Park City, UT to Denver, CO to Las Vegas, NV and back to San Diego. I've gone through some various weather changes and it held up great between 8*-70*F temps.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My previous 100W panel was putting out 21.xV. Hence why you need to use a solar controller to regulate the power fluctuations and charging output. 26.6V is actually pretty high output and most low-end pwm and mppt controllers can only do up to 25V solar panel input, but the panel is a 110W panel. A very few, pricey, controllers in this type of application will do up to 28V.

I'm currently running GoPower solar controller GP-PWM-UL to charge both starting and aux batts with a single controller, but it doesn't do dc-dc charging. https://gpelectric.com/products/30-amp-solar-controller-bluetooth/. To include alternator charging, I added a battery isolator/relay. The problem with this is that our "smart" charging system will only put out 13.xV-14.xV when the starting battery drops below 70% and maintain a 12.xV if it's above 70%. Which means, alternator charging to the secondary isn't always engaged.

I'm thinking about switching over to the redarc bddc25d, just because of our stupid "smart" charging system. https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger. However, I lose out on charging both batteries.

Or maybe, I should just get a dc-dc charger with built-in battery isolator to replace my current battery isolator/relay.

Update time: My new Lensun hood panel puts out lots of power 26.6V. Lensun worked with me to get fitment just right. The panel didn't come with any mounting tape, but recommended 3M VHB. I had to remove my LPPT tape to switch over to the 3M VHB 5952. 3M VHB 5952 works like a charm. I just did a 2500 mile trip from San Diego, CA to Park City, UT to Denver, CO to Las Vegas, NV and back to San Diego. I've gone through some various weather changes and it held up great between 8*-70*F temps.
Got it! Sorry, I thought you were getting 26.6v at the battery...

I have not checked what the panel output is to the controller, but now that makes sense.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

How is this unit holding up? Have you had any flex or has it come loose at all? Any shorts or bad voltage?

I see they are around $600 for the total system. I do a lot of camping and could definitely use this and it seems like a lot less work than a double battery system.

Thanks!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

How is this unit holding up? Have you had any flex or has it come loose at all? Any shorts or bad voltage?

I see they are around $600 for the total system. I do a lot of camping and could definitely use this and it seems like a lot less work than a double battery system.

Thanks!

holding up great. No issues, shorts, or challenges with any of the installation or durability. It’s still early to tell, but so far, so good

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I’m going to check in with you at the end of the summer. I may give the small panel a try to keep me topped off during camping season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV