iPod Connection through the HK Drive & Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

Has anyone tried to install the Harman Kardon Drive & Play. It looks like it may be an interesting solution for iPod enthusiasts.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

It has its own screen and intuitive user interface (just like the iPod). It has the ability to plug in a second device (like satellite radio) into the Drive & Play, which in turn plugs into the AUX Input on the LR3. The Drive & Play has a volume control that could boost the sound, so the iPod (and another device) would have the appropriate level when playing (since the default/existing AUX Input volume setting is very low). Apparently, most Circuit City stores offer it for $299 + $100 for install.

I called HK to confirm the volume adjustment/control as well as the possible Sat Radio input - which they did.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already posted a few times. The Drive + Play, since it plugs into the iPod dock connector, uses the standard higher output "line-out" the iPod has. Same as the Belkin auto kit. I know a few people with it... works fine.

So, just like the Belkin + iPod... it's still about 5-6 volume ticks lower (at least with the iPod nano).

D

deanz

Line Driver

So the line driver (that's been posted earlier) still needs to be installed to get the volume at the same level of output as the rest of the unit?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. For the the iPod (like with the Belkin), it's probably close enough for many, though. Remember to bug Land Rover to get them to add a much needed AUX volume offset adjustment. :D

D

deanz

I agree....

The only way they'll put the effort (and money) into fixing it is if we complain loudly and frequently.

L

LR34Me

My friend just picked up a new Toureg and even that has full Ipod Integration for 2006 AND a neat backup camera system with guidance lines.

Seems old hat to me to have to snake a wire to the back of center console in an otherwise very technically advanced vehicle. Maybe LR won't pay Apple the licensce fee?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall, there are still very few vehicles that have "real" iPod integration. (CD changer emulation doesn't count.) It's just now starting to roll out. Even the fancy new $90K 2006 BMW M5 doesn't offer any iPod connectivity...

At least we have an AUX jack -- which is pretty rare, too. (And it doesn't limit you to any specific device.) If it only had an AUX volume offset adjustment in the head unit, it would be great....

M

Matt_Grim2

I would wait about a month and go with the Interface from Nav-Tv...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9