Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different strokes, and I can't fault you.

I bought stick shift Wrangler for my girls to learn to drive.

I figure they can't text and drive that way, at least.

No backup camera, parking sensors, etc. I went the route of teaching technique first, and rely on the electronics later.

So far, so good.

Although I did have to drive 300 miles to find a new stick shift these days.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different strokes, and I can't fault you.

I bought stick shift Wrangler for my girls to learn to drive.

I figure they can't text and drive that way, at least.

No backup camera, parking sensors, etc. I went the route of teaching technique first, and rely on the electronics later.

So far, so good.

I feel that would be the route I would go too. The better overall driver, the more driver aids could combine to result in a safer driving experience.

You have quite the stable there @avslash. As someone who is looking to build a new house mainly so I can get a massive garage space for toys and never have to sell the cars I love, I would be curious of your vehicle housing situation with all those beauties...

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Made out better than me; I just bought a 2013 TT RS so I could drive a manual more often and "imported" it from CO to NJ, lol. My intention is that my girls will learn to drive on that...and they are currently 9 and 10!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel that would be the route I would go too. The better overall driver, the more driver aids could combine to result in a safer driving experience.

You have quite the stable there @avslash. As someone who is looking to build a new house mainly so I can get a massive garage space for toys and never have to sell the cars I love, I would be curious of your vehicle housing situation with all those beauties...

Bad phone pick, but you can make out my toys here. Well, hood of the Rover, handlebars of the Beemer, windshield of the 997 and the 993 floating above it all. There's a golf cart and an outboard motor in there for good measure ...

The wife's GLS is normally in the garage where I'm standing for the pic, and the truck and Jeep live in the driveway.

The dangling orange strap is part of my home made rig to hang the Wrangler hard top over the hood of the Rover.

I keep saying I need a bigger garage, and the wife keeps telling me to sell something...

20190410_215211.jpg

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made out better than me; I just bought a 2013 TT RS so I could drive a manual more often and "imported" it from CO to NJ, lol. My intention is that my girls will learn to drive on that...and they are currently 9 and 10!

It's a dying skill, but no way I was putting adults into the world that can't drive a manual.

When my oldest was whining about it I told her "look, you learn to drive this now and you can basically drive anything; car, truck, semi, tractor, motorcycle. "

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the route of teaching technique first, and rely on the electronics later.

So far, so good.

Totally agree, electronics are just a bonus. After regular driver ed this summer we're going to Audi teen driver school in the fall where they can master more skills at higher speeds. And they both want to learn how to drive a manual as well.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old, so I'm a little far out from thinking about him driving, but for those of you who have 15yr olds and over I highly recommend signing them up for Tire Rack's Street Survival School. I'm a volunteer instructor, so please don't think I'm trying to get you to buy anything that I'm selling. This class should be mandatory for new drivers and even for current drivers. It's a full day and I'm pretty sure the $90 you spend will be well worth it and the smiles on the kid's faces are proof. Think water, figure 8s and full panic stops. The link is below, no need for me to explain the entire course. It's highly recommended that they bring the car that they are going to drive primarily.

Good luck out there and be safe!

Sorry to highjack the thread, but if one kid takes this class because of the post, that's one more driver on the road who is more prepared and better for it;)

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/events_sponsorships/street_survival.html

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old, so I'm a little far out from thinking about him driving, but for those of you who have 15yr olds and over I highly recommend signing them up for Tire Rack's Street Survival School. I'm a volunteer instructor, so please don't think I'm trying to get you to buy anything that I'm selling. This class should be mandatory for new drivers and even for current drivers. It's a full day and I'm pretty sure the $90 you spend will be well worth it and the smiles on the kid's faces are proof. Think water, figure 8s and full panic stops. The link is below, no need for me to explain the entire course. It's highly recommended that they bring the car that they are going to drive primarily.

Good luck out there and be safe!

Sorry to highjack the thread, but if one kid takes this class because of the post, that's one more driver on the road who is more prepared and better for it;)

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/events_sponsorships/street_survival.html

Thank you jpjp! Looks great! And that $90 is a bargain compared to a Skip Barber class I took many years ago.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad phone pick, but you can make out my toys here. Well, hood of the Rover, handlebars of the Beemer, windshield of the 997 and the 993 floating above it all. There's a golf cart and an outboard motor in there for good measure ...

The wife's GLS is normally in the garage where I'm standing for the pic, and the truck and Jeep live in the driveway.

The dangling orange strap is part of my home made rig to hang the Wrangler hard top over the hood of the Rover.

I keep saying I need a bigger garage, and the wife keeps telling me to sell something...

View attachment 9362

Haha. Well for me, now is the time to build what I want, before anyone else gets a say. Unless that never happens and I keep doing what I want till I die...

That is still a pretty slick setup even with the need/want to expand if permission is granted. I honestly hadn't thought about a car lift in designing my new setup, but at the height I am looking to build, that is a great idea(plus the benefits of accessing vehicles for more DIY mechanical jobs).

Enjoy those killer rides in the new, warmer weather!

Last edited:

777AIA

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like LR3 prices after we all got suckered into buying them off the floor. (Not that anybody else on this thread ever bought off the floor!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM