L319 vs. L462...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Disco Sport is getting a slight rear end makeover for 2019, so I would suspect the D5 will get a few tweaks for 2020. Now that the Defender is looking to be a chiselled box, more like an evolution of the D4, I think people will not care as much about the design of the D5.

I had wondered in the past if LR thought there would only be room for one vehicle in their lineup with a chiseled, off road-ish look--and the Defender was going to be it--and that's why they softened the looks of the D5 so much. I still think they **** the bed on the timing of it, though. Having that hole in the lineup of a storied, off-road brand for this long isn't good.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I have to completely agree. Based on driving a D5 loaner and my LR4 in deep sand on the beach, the D5 wins, no contest. Trying to go uphill in sand I can feel my LR4 sinking as it tries to maintain traction. Felt like the D5 was just floating on the sand with perfect traction. Sure it's lighter, but the low traction launch control is just better. New terrain response II is simply better.
You see I have to disagree. I live in the sand. NJ Pine Barrens sugar sand, not that thick beach stuff. My D5 loaner had a hard time transitioning through flooded patches (where the water runs back into the hole after fording through) whereas my old LR4 bites in and just grunted its way through. Plus I believe I have more wheel/tire options with my 18" Compo's.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is there's just nothing to get excited about. I can accept the claims on here that it is an improvement in capabilities but for me that's not entirely what it's about. I need to be passionate about a truck ie it needs character. There is none here. Merely looking at any of the past rovers I've had brings me a sense of pride and satisfaction. I think if I had a D5 I would be constantly justifying it with myself "yeah, but at least it's still capable". I guess my main point of contention is that Jeep managed an all new Wrangler, Mercedes managed an all new G wagon, and both did it without sacrificing (much of) their heritage and rugged styling.

I'm sorry, this is just a blob of nothingness, the most lazy attempt at a redesign I think it could have been. After 27 years of LR ownership the plan is to keep my 4 for as long as it lets me, then defect to the Bronco, or G class (if I'm lucky). The Defender would be a possibility if they hit it out of the park.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove one. I did not like it as it felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. The tailgate opening is beyond ridiculous and the meaningless offset licence plate mounting is awful. Why do people keep comparing this to a Ford Explorer? The D5 is $30k more expensive than a mid Explorer (Canada) . For that price it better have a few more niceties. We should be comparing this to a Land Cruiser.

Personally I am waiting for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a big ol proper V8.

They compare D5 to Ford because the body is basically identical and they both look boring as hell. Price point is irrelevant when comparing general styling.

The D5 has practically no remaining “capability” inside or out other than the terrain aspect. The roof is ****, the cargo area is ****, the 2nd row seats are ****, the hatch is ****, the disappearance of stadium seating and tall windows is ****.

It’s a fabulous station wagon but not much more.

DavidSG

Reaction score
They compare D5 to Ford because the body is basically identical and they both look boring as hell. Price point is irrelevant when comparing general styling.

The D5 has practically no remaining “capability” inside or out other than the terrain aspect. The roof is ****, the cargo area is ****, the 2nd row seats are ****, the hatch is ****, the disappearance of stadium seating and tall windows is ****.

It’s a fabulous station wagon but not much more.

Don't hold back - tell us how you really feel! :laugh:

Just picked up a loaner D5 this morning. I know looks are subjective and I can't say this is the prettiest looking SUV out there (which is a good thing, imho), but I just don't see the resemblance to the Explorer - other than some distant-cousin design cues with the rear windows. Love it or hate it - have to admit they took a risk with the D5 design - it's not for everybody.

But I do agree that the site lines are nowhere in the same ballpark as the LR4.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re cargo volume (from Car & Driver review of the 2017 model vs others in same class):

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.36.49 AM | Mon Oct 8.jpg

Our LR3/4 max cargo volume is 90.3 cu ft, so the D5 is down from that with 2nd and 3rd rows folded. Like our LRs, it still sucks for space with all seats up (9 cu ft!). But the most common use case when cargo is involved will be either 3rd row flat or both 2nd and 3rd row flat. In that case the D5 comes in second in this comparison. I didn't look into how that space compares with the highly efficient squared-off cargo space in "our" vehicles. Take this FWIW.

Taemian

Reaction score
We had a Jag loaner, then a D5 while our LR3 was in the shop. The D5 had much worse handling over washboard surfaces, very upsetting. We plan on keeping the LR3 a long long time.

Much better sight lines, and the stadium seating is awesome. We rarely have snow in our area, but when it hits, the city shuts down. My wife was having none of it. She had a girls night out planned, and offered to pick everyone else up. Six women from 5'10" to 6'1" ....I think we probably sold 3 LR3/4s that night, the ladies all went home raving about the capability to their husbands and the lack of needing to hunch in the back!
Correction: Two of the ladies got LR4s as their next vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA