Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrien

Reaction score

Attachments

• Jimmy_wiring.jpg
    Jimmy_wiring.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely possible, my wet plastic is towards the rear of the engine however I will double check when I get back to the car on Friday!

Assuming you checked those connectors on the timing cover? I forget if the cam position sensors are on the front or the rear. Wouldn’t explain the voltage issue but a faulty cam sensor could cause no spark.

The ground for the coil banks are in that area, so maybe if one bank isn’t grounded correctly it could cause issues with the whole circuit but that’s just my speculation

Ya I can see the ground to the coil banks in the photo and it’s covered in oil, that’s why I asked if yours was covered in oil as well. Ive had that oil leak for over 3ish years now and wouldn’t be surprised if it corroded that piece making the ground bad, I’ll clean it off and put a multimeter on that ground and on the battery to see if there is any resistance.

Adrien

Reaction score
Ya I can see the ground to the coil banks in the photo and it’s covered in oil, that’s why I asked if yours was covered in oil as well. Ive had that oil leak for over 3ish years now and wouldn’t be surprised if it corroded that piece making the ground bad, I’ll clean it off and put a multimeter on that ground and on the battery to see if there is any resistance.
Ok! Yeah multimeter for resistance is a great move, You could also check for resistance between once of the negative/ground pins on one of the coils, and touch the other lead to the cleanest metal surface on the engine itself. If that looks good a quick test from the engine to the frame/fender might be helpful as well.

Another way is you can measure Battery + to -, record that voltage, then measure battery + to any ground you want to test and see if your voltage varies hugely. Set multimeter to 20v for best accuracy, any higher and the drop caused by bad ground might not be noticeable on some meters

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side is covered in oil but my driver’s side is fine. I’ve neglected this oil leak for a long time so my thought is couldn’t this have corroded the ground for the passenger side coils?
Not corrosion, per se; oil prevents corrosion. But it could have encouraged something to loosen, or is forming an insulating layer between things. Cleaning grounds isn't a bad idea anyway.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am back with some information. When testing the grounds I found that from the coil ground (the middle female pin) to the ground on the engine there is about .5ohms. However from the coil ground to the battery ground I would get fluctuations from 2ohms letting the car sit all the way to 4.5 ohms after opening the drivers side door and then testing. It appears to be that way on both banks. The voltage looked normal when putting one on the battery + and another on the coil ground. Battery voltage was healthy as well.

Edit: when I put the 2 probes together I would get around .3ohms and when I put it on a random ground on the on the body and then on the battery ground I would get around 1-.8ohms.

Last edited:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am back with some information. When testing the grounds I found that from the coil ground (the middle female pin) to the ground on the engine there is about .5ohms. However from the coil ground to the battery ground I would get fluctuations from 2ohms letting the car sit all the way to 4.5 ohms after opening the drivers side door and then testing. It appears to be that way on both banks. The voltage looked normal when putting one on the battery + and another on the coil ground. Battery voltage was healthy as well.

Edit: when I put the 2 probes together I would get around .3ohms and when I put it on a random ground on the on the body and then on the battery ground I would get around 1-.8ohms.
The driver door changing the reading seems...odd. I suppose if you have a set of jumper cables you could patch directly between battery negative and the ground that the coils attach to to see if it makes any difference in cranking time? Bypass all the connections between the two?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver door changing the reading seems...odd. I suppose if you have a set of jumper cables you could patch directly between battery negative and the ground that the coils attach to to see if it makes any difference in cranking time? Bypass all the connections between the two?

Ok I’ll try that and see if it makes a difference, although I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get a jumper cable in that small space

Last edited:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I’ll try that and see if it makes a difference, although I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get a jumper cable in that small space
Doesn’t have to be that heavy…even a 16 gauge wire with good connections ought to identify if that helps.

Adrien

Reaction score
Trying to remember my circuits lectures in college, increase in resistance from coil to battery makes sense (I think) as when driver door is opened a bunch of modules turn on and therefore begin pumping current through the engine to battery ground. As current increases resistance should increase as well. Again a strong "I think" on this one but I will run the scenario by some friends that are more fluent in circuits and see what they think

Adrien

Reaction score
In other news I finally confirmed there is a single capacitor that feeds both banks of coils. I will supply wiring diagram shortly, I'm just having trouble finding it's physical location on the engine at the moment

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM