Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrien

Reaction score
Ok confirmed that ignition capacitor has failed on D3's while browsing forums, will cause no spark. On LR4's if it shorts internally it should also blow fuse 6E (15amp) in the engine junction box, and can be intermittent in nature. Looking for it's location & part # now. My best guess now is my fuse finally blew hence why no spark/no start. Will finally be back with my vehicle tomorrow evening so I will check that fuse as quickly as possible as well as inspect the capacitor

Edit: Part# LR025249

Wow more edit: Turns out when it begins to fail it can really mess with things, Disco 3 owner: "it is wired to shunt radio static to ground for all of them. If it were failing (whether diode or capacitor), it would screw up spark greatly. If unplugged, will let static be sent out by the ignition coils, while this would be noticed on AM stations, it may well interfere with other electronics in the vehicle, but vehicle may be able to crank and run."

Still haven't found it's physical location on the LR4/MY10+ RRS

Last edit I promise: This capacitor can fail by slowly creating a short between coil input 12v and ground. A weak short could slowly progress, slowly reducing voltage to coils. hence when your truck is cranking the voltage input is already lower than normal because of the starter motor, so the drop within the coil circuit itself might take it just low enough to give you extremely weak spark.

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver door changing the reading seems...odd. I suppose if you have a set of jumper cables you could patch directly between battery negative and the ground that the coils attach to to see if it makes any difference in cranking time? Bypass all the connections between the two?

After almost 6 months of headache, diagnosing fees and feeling embarrassed every time I had to start my car, this was the answer. Did the jumper leads on both grounds to the battery ground and boom car fired right up. Went to Home Depot picked up 10 gauge and wired it to the negative terminal and now I have a working car. Plus my voltage is now a consistent 14.2-14.5 Does this mean wiring harness needs to be replaced?

Also only thing I noticed was that my batterys estimated state of charge was dropping while I was driving. My alternator load was at 32% so not really sure if that’s accurate or not. My voltage was good and there are no lights or codes.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I was able to witness the culmination of the long-running saga. Always seems to be the way it is though, right? Complicated problem that ends up having a simple solution.

Adrien

Reaction score
After almost 6 months of headache, diagnosing fees and feeling embarrassed every time I had to start my car, this was the answer. Did the jumper leads on both grounds to the battery ground and boom car fired right up. Went to Home Depot picked up 10 gauge and wired it to the negative terminal and now I have a working car. Plus my voltage is now a consistent 14.2-14.5 Does this mean wiring harness needs to be replaced?

Also only thing I noticed was that my batterys estimated state of charge was dropping while I was driving. My alternator load was at 32% so not really sure if that’s accurate or not. My voltage was good and there are no lights or codes.

This is absolutely fantastic news!! Any chance of a pic of your new wiring setup?

Adrien

Reaction score
Yup I’ll take one when I’m back at home, only thing is that I think the ground I ran from the battery is killing the battery while I drive.
That could explain the 14+v consistently, usually it’ll drop down to the mid/high 13v range when the battery hits 70-80%

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a CEL while driving on the freeway

P010B-00 (EC) Mass or volume air flow B circuit - range/performance

Also battery now says it’s low on the dash when I leave the car off for a bit.

Adrien

Reaction score
Got a CEL while driving on the freeway

P010B-00 (EC) Mass or volume air flow B circuit - range/performance

Also battery now says it’s low on the dash when I leave the car off for a bit.
You left the original ground points in place right? Just added an extra one via the wire?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM