Looking at a few CPO cars, a few questions on what to look for.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonz

Reaction score
Looking at a couple of CPO cars in the 20-30k mileage range, 2012s.

First, how often should we expect to have to change brake pads? I saw on one of the CPO cars they changed pads around 14k miles? Also, both of these cars had the battery replaced one at 14k, the other at 8.9k... seems unusual to me.

Is there anything else i can learn from a carfax as far as something to steer clear from?

thanks

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of CPO cars in the 20-30k mileage range, 2012s.

First, how often should we expect to have to change brake pads? I saw on one of the CPO cars they changed pads around 14k miles? Also, both of these cars had the battery replaced one at 14k, the other at 8.9k... seems unusual to me.

Is there anything else i can learn from a carfax as far as something to steer clear from?

thanks

My 2013 is coming up on 2 years in a couple of months and it has 14k miles. Have not checked pad wear, but so far all is good. Battery is perfect so far (despite last years brutal winter in Mass). So in my case, all is well.

That said, pad wear seemed a bit high at the 8k mile mark and I read on this forum that these cars consume brakes rather quickly. Batteries seem to also get replaced sooner than I am used to.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During the CPO inspection on our gray LR4, they replaced all the brake pads and it only had 13K miles. As part of the CPO inspection, the pads are probably required to have a specified minimum thickness left or they get replaced. With mostly local driving (hauling kids around) brake last about 30K miles.

If these vehicles have been sitting around for a few weeks on dealer lots, its possible that the batteries failed a charge test. Be glad you get a new battery as well.

Not sure the Carfax will be overly helpful other than to show you any big accidents that involved an insurance company. But you should have the dealer print out the entire Land Rover maintenance and repair history for you. This way you can confirm it was taken care of and repairs were made. You are probably better off with a used LR4 that was dealer maintained and has a documented service history.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal break wear at those levels unfortunately. I go through a set between 15-20k miles. Normally the rotors should be fine (ignore dealers who tell you you have to do pads and rotors at the same time regardless of rotor thickness), so you can get a set to last 30k or so.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
Brake pads need to have 50% or more remaining to pass CPO inspection. Mine were at 70% when I purchased my car. I asked, and the dealer threw in, a $1,000 discount on my next brake pad replacement.

I would also check the tires. They also needs to have more than 50% tread remaining. If they look worn (or 1 looks overly worn), then I would ask for concessions due to tire replacement requirement in the short term.

Also, go over the paint work very closely to make sure the dealer didn't half-ass some dent or chip work.

bonz

Reaction score
thanks all.

Unfortunately, the truck im looking at is out of state. Ive told my contact at the dealership, i dont want to fly down there and find a surprise. Smells, stains, chips, service record issues, etc.

Not sure if im going to pull the trigger on this one, but certainly am moving in that direction.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks all.

Unfortunately, the truck im looking at is out of state. Ive told my contact at the dealership, i dont want to fly down there and find a surprise. Smells, stains, chips, service record issues, etc.

Not sure if im going to pull the trigger on this one, but certainly am moving in that direction.

Road trip or flight? Some people buy a round trip and then just don't use the other half if the deal works out as hoped.

Some of these people posting in the thread and elsewhere you've read, are simply not driving in a sensible manner if the pads are wearing any sooner than 30k. It's funny how people get used to driving "hard" = ON THE THROTTLE...BRAKE...ON THE THROTTLE.

The funniest to me is the people who speed up to red lights or obvious stopped traffic. I visualize the dollars and time just falling out of the door sill as they go ;)

bonz

Reaction score
Road trip or flight? Some people buy a round trip and then just don't use the other half if the deal works out as hoped.

Some of these people posting in the thread and elsewhere you've read, are simply not driving in a sensible manner if the pads are wearing any sooner than 30k. It's funny how people get used to driving "hard" = ON THE THROTTLE...BRAKE...ON THE THROTTLE.

The funniest to me is the people who speed up to red lights or obvious stopped traffic. I visualize the dollars and time just falling out of the door sill as they go ;)

Ive been driving my wifes vehicle for a few days. I keep it on instant mileage so i can see whats going on. I can drive with a pretty light foot.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been driving my wifes vehicle for a few days. I keep it on instant mileage so i can see whats going on. I can drive with a pretty light foot.

Then you should be able to see up to 50k rotor life like me but it does of course also depend on the type of driving like in town stop-n-go vs longer trips.

bonz

Reaction score
So...was about ready to put a deposit down. Looking the car over again online, Im pretty sure it doesn't have the climate package, aka heated seats, etc.
I live in NC, not MN but I like the heated seat option. Have had it on all my cars. Question? Are heated seats in the front standard? Does the climate package just add heat to the back seats and the windscreen?
The heated windscreen is appealing as well, not that I have a ton of use for it, but the last snowstorm we had here I was driving in my Volvo XC70 and the snow piled up so fast it froze my wipers. Obviously won't happen often here, but was hoping to make more trips to the NC ski resorts this year.

This is a 2012 , HSE , 18k miles, $42k

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112