Lower control arm replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No poly bushes here, I want the ride as supple as possible, but that’s just my taste.
But I’m hoping it’s the same as ryanjl and just the ball joint. I’ll know when I get under the car again. But that’ll have to wait until after a work trip unfortunately.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ball joints made more of a nasty squeaking sound over bumps as opposed to a clunk. They were undergreased from the factory. Putting more grease in them stopped the squeak (there's no zirk fitting, so you have to use a needle and poke it through the boot), but in my mind the damage was done and I swapped them out for some LCA's from Atlantic British.

For a clunk, you might check either the sway bar endlinks or the swaybar bushings on the frame.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a clunk, you might check either the sway bar endlinks or the swaybar bushings on the frame.
to follow on this - i have a looseness when going around a turn and hitting a bump with the unweighted tire. it feels a little clunky. I have replaced the LCA bushings with polys not that long ago. It feels like the tie between steering wheel and wheel is a little loose. Is this likely tie rod ends, ball joints, or sway bar bushings? or end links?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep reading about the vendor LCA's were purchased from, but not the brand name of replacement LCA's.

Looking at the Atlantic British site (link), they don't tell you the brand name they are selling, and the $140 price indicates a cheap offshore copy. Ditto for Lucky 8, where they include new hardware for even less, $120 each (link), or without hardware for $140 (link)...? Odd. Based on other vendors' offerings, these are probably either Eurospare, Meyle, or another budget off-brand. I personally don't trust any vendor that won't tell you the brand name of what they are selling.

On a related note, a common complaint for low-cost LCA's / ball joints is that the are under-greased as delivered.

For reference, new OE (Genuine LR) front lower LCA's are ~$425 MSRP, available from LR Tampa for $320 each with free shipping (link).

Lemforder appears to sell OEM LCA's that are OE/Genuine with the Land Rover logo ground off. They are even Made in UK. I bought a pair earlier this year, they are available from AutohausAZ and RM European for ~$190 each. I have detailed photos but haven't gotten them resized and uploaded yet. A few sample pics are below. I haven't gotten these installed yet.

1629554960884.png
1629554979879.png
1629555017109.png
1629555157237.png

Attachments

• 1629555141027.png
    1629555141027.png
    661.5 KB · Views: 36

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to follow on this - i have a looseness when going around a turn and hitting a bump with the unweighted tire. it feels a little clunky. I have replaced the LCA bushings with polys not that long ago. It feels like the tie between steering wheel and wheel is a little loose. Is this likely tie rod ends, ball joints, or sway bar bushings? or end links?
Had the same thing, and mine was the frame-mounted swaybar bushings. Like you, I had replaced with polys. I think the polys might give a little over time, and you need to retighten them. I tightened one of the bolts just probably around a 1/4 turn and the clunk went away.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing, and mine was the frame-mounted swaybar bushings. Like you, I had replaced with polys. I think the polys might give a little over time, and you need to retighten them. I tightened one of the bolts just probably around a 1/4 turn and the clunk went away.
Thanks. I ordered a kit with the links and the bushes. Get that installed shortly

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I replaced my front LCAs last fall. Britpart has a great video in their youtube channel. The aft bolts were seized on both sides but it was easy to cut through them with a sawzall. Make sure to use carbide blades. You'll need to get an alignment done immediately after but still tighten up the bolts so you can safely get to the shop.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ~3k miles on my Meyle HD lower arms. They feel every bit as soft as OE but they are just rubber bushes and not fluid filled. They are not poly, its black rubber with a better design.

Highly recommend.

i-MQtGfVj-X2.jpg

i-RCDScQS-X2.jpg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard anecdotally the Meyle "HD" line is acceptable... but I wouldn't touch anything Meyle otherwise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV