Lower control arm... ugh!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeyrc76

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was replacing my lower control arms or lower wishbones and what is typically the most difficult parts went pretty smoothly. I decided to go with the upgraded polly bushings since I heard they’re much less problematic than the stock parts. I was able to remove all the bolts and the only thing left was to pull out the Ball joint. Here is where the drama came in. I could not seem to be able to get the part that get it off. I tried all kinds of angles but It wouldn’t budge from the housing. I’ve seen videos where it comes off super easy but mine seems to be seized somehow. Anyone have the same issue or have any suggestions for folks who may want to do the same? I tried a pry bar, wd40, anti-seize, I tried using the jack creatively, beat the crap out of it to shock it loose, and none of it seemed to work. The worst part is that the issue is on both sides. I finally gave it and taking it to the mighty expensive dealership tomorrow.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are a pain and videos make it look easy, between my sledge hammer and cheap harbor freight air hammer I got mine to bust loose.

Joeyrc76

Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. They do make it looks easy and if it wasn't for the ball joint, I guess it would have been. I asked the Land Rover master mechanic how he got it out and he said the same about the air hammer. Hopefully, there isn't a next time because I bought one with the poly bushings but I got an air hammer just in case. ;-)

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my front lower control arms this weekend. Where did you hit with the hammer? Control arm? Stud of the ball joint? Hub?

Joeyrc76

Reaction score
Hi mflecklr3, according to the Land Rover, master mechanic he hit it underneath where the bolt is protruding from the Ball Bearing housing and then both sides of the ball bearing housing.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Thanks. Did you have to push the half axle out of the wheel hub to get the LCA removed? I'd like to skip that step if I can. My LH axle has an odd size axle nut* so it'd be great if I can avoid tracking down a replacement.

*I replaced the half axle awhile back and the nut that came w/ the part is 1 3/8" instead of 1 1/4". Not sure why. The RH is normal size.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I just replaced my front LCAs with the pre-loaded green polyurethane bushings.

To my answer my own question above, yes, on a 2006 you have to push out the half axle and then swing the hub away from the vehicle to get enough clearance to remove/install the LCA.

Front cam bolts came out with the tap of a hammer. The rear cam bolts on both sides was fused to the bushings so I had to cut them with a sawzall (6" and 9" carbide blades, btw). On one side, I had to cut the control arm with a cutoff wheel so I could get better access w/ the sawzall.

The job is more or less exactly like the video on Britpart's youtube channel.

Last edited:

ambrown31

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble with the ball joints as well. Probably took me 30 minutes with a sledge hammer.

I also had just as much trouble getting the half shaft pushed out of the hub for clearance. My air hammer must not be that powerful.

This is a physically demanding job but pretty rewarding when you are finished.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
The ball joints weren't a major thing for me. A few upward hits on the threaded stud and then hit the housing with a sledge while using a pry bar for upward pressure. I think the pry bar helps a lot but that's just a hunch.

Nick Schoeps

Reaction score
I used a two arm gear puller on these, harbor freight special. Made the ball joint MUCH more achievable for $27. My RH lbj was so tight that it broke the small puller...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72