LR3 Owner's Thoughts so Far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We found that the sound system DOES Play MP3 cd's even though there is no mention of this in the manual
It is in the manual. :)

The front/rear PDC is a plus, our garage space is tight and having this feature makes my girlfriend happy-- she is 5'4" and ran the SE-7 into wall a few times.
The PDC is rear only as far as I am aware.

3) No wiring harness comes with the towing system. You have to buy that later and have it installed (around $300) I did not find this out until I needed to tow my trailer Christmas Eve around noon O'Clock!! Real bummer!! LR need to tell people that before they need it!!
12 bucks at your local auto store and 10 minutes is all it takes.

We owned a 01 SE7 for 4 years. It was a great vehicle with one unplanned visit to the dealer to replace a faulty MAF.

The LR3 is incredible. 2 months and 3000 miles later I am still impressed at just how much better the truck is than the old Disco.

Our single problem has been limited to the electronic parking brake acting up and throwing all manner of error lights. All it takes is a cycle of the ignition to clear up the issue. This same issue cropped up in the Jags which use the same system and should be resolved with a reflash.

A

abhking

I am an new Rover owner (LR3) I had some initial concerns after reading about the problems with the Discovery. However, since I got my LR3 I must admit I am a happy owner. This is my first SUV and I am delighted. I am not sure if I'll be taking it off-road but I look forward to the snow this winter (Bring it on!!) :).

I have a few questions/concerns:
1. The light in the cargo area does not seem to work. When I open the tailgate the cargo area does not illuminate. I have to turn the lights for the 3rd row on instead. I ask the dealer and they were going to look into this and get back to me. This was a week ago and I haven't heard from them yet. Does anyone have any info on why or how to turn this light on?

2. The fuel tank lid does not lock even when all the doors are locked- I have a BMW and the fuel tank lid locks when the door is lock and open only when the doors are unlock. Thus I thought the LR3 worked the same. Hence, I was suprised to find out it does'nt lock at all.

3. Also, the manual mentioned a CD holder that gors in the top glove compartment (p151). However there isn't one in my suv. Does anyone have it

A

AussieLR3

You guys and gals are lucky to be able to see and even drive an LR3. Down under here in Australia we can't even see one (unless you live in Sydney and went to the Motor Show in Oct 04) let alone sit in one yet however we can place an order for one.

Typically for Landrover there are very few details available to us on detailed specifications. Apparently the specifications are still changing and only once the build commences for Australia we will get firmer specs (in Jan 05).

Even with some unknowns about final specs I placed an order in Dec 04 for a HSE TDV6 auto with rear diff lock, adaptive headlights, front PDC and Premium Sound System and if I'm lucky I might get into the Jan 05 build program for Australia meaning delivery might be early Mar 05. In the worst situation I might get delivery in May 05 - so it's a long wait.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help answer:

1. I read in Nomad's post about voice activated navigation and audio controls. Does this come with the Premium Sound System if you don't option the Navigation system? Navigation comes in 2 specs in OZ and there are no details about what you get. With a price of AU$7,300 for the Premium Navigation system it's far too expensive when you compare it to an aftermarket GPS.

2. Also I read about no fuel cover lock - is this true? This is unacceptable with our fuel prices of AU$1.10 per litre and the potential theft of fuel.

3. Is there a 12V DC outlet in the rear cargo space in your models?

4. I've seen posts that the manual is not that well written or more so written with the view you bought an HSE with all of the options - how bad is it?

I can confirm that in the limited specs we have in Australia we do get the wiring harness for the tow pack as a no cost option.

Regards,

Chris

M

mwillems

- No 12V outlet in the back of the 5-seater. There is a blank hole only. It should be possible to fit one and I am going to ask my dealer.

- Indeed no lock on fuel cap in Canada/US,. but they do have that lock in Europe. Oz, I can only guess.

- Manual is "ok" but there are quite a few inaccuracies, especially in systems like the radio, where some documented options do not exist at all, and in documenting systems like superlocking. But all this is an annoyance, not a hindrance to ownership.

L

luvmylr3

snowflake symbol next to external temperature

I am a happy LR3 owner.
Just took delivery on a SE Blue/Alpaca with Nav, 7 seats, Lighting, Remote Climate Control, Cold Climate Package, and PDC.
Question: About once every 5 minutes, an aubible bing is sounded and a snowflake is displayed next to the external temperature. At the same time the temperature reading changes a couple of degrees. The external temperature is not near freezing, it is about 40 degrees outside. I looked in the manual and there is no reference to this. Does anyone any similar action from their external temperature indicator?
thanks

L

luvmylr3

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. The publication you referenced is very informative and helpful, picks up where the manual leaves off.

Q

quietcoolone

Roverito,
Thanks for the clarification. I wish LR put as much effort into the manuals as they did into the car design. I found multiple errors and instructions for stuff that does not exist (i.e service indicator etc).
My manual does not make any mention of MP3 playback.. again it was discovered by trial and error-- Did LR print different manuals?

M

mwillems

I have downloaded some tech workshop manuals and they are somewhat better of course. Agreed that the manuals are bad - I noticed all the same issues. Inexcusable - imagine if Sony did this.

JimRoshan

Reaction score
Hey mwillems,

Are you talking about downloading LR3 tech workshop manuals? If so, can you post the link?

Update - Since I last posted here I am approaching the 7,500 miles mark. We have been "Rovering" all over the place with this machine!!!

We installed the factory "A" Frame and Warn Winch assembly along with the Wind Deflectors for the windows and the Door Guards. We decided to install the winch and A Frame ourselves - It took us 2 full days to do that. 34 pages of diagramed instructions. A real pain. But, could you imagine how much the dealership would charge for that! The winch alone was $2,400 and you can't get it anywhere else. It comes with all of the brackets and tray assembly parts to install on the truck.

We, also, had XM radio installed. It is FM modulated and I hate that. I read on another forum (http://lrchroniclepub.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=land22&num=1098809221&action=display&start=45) that the Alpine radio in the truck has the expansion capabilities to accept Sat radio - but when or how - I don't know!! It's a pain in the rear to constantly look for a clear FM station as you travel.

Next project is to have the windows tinted and find good off-road tires for her.

Oh, I almost forgot!! Does anyone want a 2004 Volvo XC-90 SUV? My wife now wants a red LR3!! Go figure!!

PS - I as soon as I get a chance I will post photos of my ride!

Thx
Jim
Bowling Green, Ky.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9