Lr4 5.0 serpentine belt issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to ask, but you sure it's not the new PS pump then? Did the shop replace it with an off-brand?
It's oem. I replaced it and it bolted up fine. Has an alignment pin at the back that fit into place. Ensures that the pumps postion is correct.

It works. When it was running a week ago, it drove fine for 150 miles and the ps worked.

The ps pulley spins fine. No sign of wobble or misalignment...well, besides the belt continously coming off.

I don't feel the ps pump is bad. Maybe the pulley installation? I'd just be suprised since this is kind of random. Drives fine one day, the next it shreds or falls off.

This is the last variable for any recent changes though. Time to reso the install.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming that you’ve thought of the silly stuff like triple checking the belt run round the various components. It’s a tortuous run.

If it jumps off each time then either the run is incorrect. The belt is too long if there’s some misalignment or damage to the pulleys and idler wheels.

Are you using a genuine lr belt? Or have absolutely verified the length of the aftermarket one? Groove count etc?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming that you’ve thought of the silly stuff like triple checking the belt run round the various components. It’s a tortuous run.

If it jumps off each time then either the run is incorrect. The belt is too long if there’s some misalignment or damage to the pulleys and idler wheels.

Are you using a genuine lr belt? Or have absolutely verified the length of the aftermarket one? Groove count etc?
The belt is defintly on the right path. No question about that.

It's an aftermarket belt, but it's gates brand. I'd trust it. Correct length and ribs to match oem. And I did measure the belt to verify.

My guess is ps pump misalignment, even though it appears straight and doesn't wobble when turning.

Let's see if this works...here is a link to a video of the last startup. It's hard to tell since it happens so fast, but in slow motion, it doest appear to jump off the ps pump first.

I've said before, I'm just suprised a misaligned pully allowed me to dive for 150 miles, then all of a sudden won't even let me start the car. Anything is possible I guess.
It shouldn't make a difference since I know these vehicles can take cold weather, but it is about 10-20 degrees (f) here right now.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy, there’s definitely some misalignment. Was the ps pump a LR part?

You’ll be the fastest belt changer in the west when this is done.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, there are two slightly different lengths specified for my 2016 belt. Is it possible you have the wrong one between those two?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy, there’s definitely some misalignment. Was the ps pump a LR part?

You’ll be the fastest belt changer in the west when this is done.
Yes, new lr brand pump. Reused old pulley (oem/original) since it's a separate part, and installed onto new pump.

Lol..You're not kidding. I can remove the intake, airboxes and fan in 5 minutes. Belt install is about 10 minutes.

Tomorow it's another cold day (20 degrees), but if i get the motivation, I'll remove and reinstall the pulley.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, there are two slightly different lengths specified for my 2016 belt. Is it possible you have the wrong one between those two?
Gates part number K060966. 96.6"
I beleive that the correct spec for oem lr064185 is 2460mm = 96.85.

Belt is taught when installed. The .15" difference is acceptable.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, new lr brand pump. Reused old pulley (oem/original) since it's a separate part, and installed onto new pump.

Lol..You're not kidding. I can remove the intake, airboxes and fan in 5 minutes. Belt install is about 10 minutes.

Tomorow it's another cold day (20 degrees), but if i get the motivation, I'll remove and reinstall the pulley.
Is there any chance that the new pump is slightly different to the old one? Perhaps the part has been superseded and the pulley is a slightly different offset?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the new pump is slightly different to the old one? Perhaps the part has been superseded and the pulley is a slightly different offset?
It matched when I compared visually. And it bolted up correct. Alignment pin and all bolts went in smooth. No concern of it being the correct part.

Someone suggested getting a laser in there to ensure alignment. May give that a try. But it also may be faster to reseat the pulley, rather than try to balance,align, and move things out of the way so the laser has a clean sightline.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“But it also may be faster to reseat the pulley, rather than try to balance,align, and move things out of the way so the laser has a clean sightline.”

That’s what I’d try next. Remove the pulley, have a quick clean of the mating surfaces and reinstall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi