LR4 5.0 V8 - recent timing chain service with 4 new camshaft adjusters - still seems somewhat noisy??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
On the tensioning, are you referring to not having held enough tension on the camshaft adjustment sprockets when setting the timing?
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Going against all fundamentals, I found it easier to get the correct tension and marker alignment by removing the cam lock when setting timing.

The first time around I strictly went by the workshop manual. After tens of thousands of miles before I had to rip it apart for my exhaust manifold gaskets, there was a bit of chain noise where it sounded like a newer diesel motor. Nothing concerning and not as noisy as before the first timing chain was done, but this time around I got the tension perfectly without any play or slack. I'm around 3k miles and it's super quiet. Oh and I reused the timing tensioners too.

Talvin

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Timing chain was done yet still the same noise. Mind me telling what youve dne to fix it ? What was the problem. Much appreciated.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found when I recently did my chains, that my right bank intake cam CVT solenoid had failed….in the “actuate” position. Aka, just cranking the engine by hand to line everything up to TDC for the chain job and it was variating. Which was crazy because chain tension was all over the place! How I hadn’t skipped a tooth was nothing shy of a miracle.

That was VERY loud and noisy, an d I was just barring the engine by hand…and no, I wasn’t turning it counterclockwise. That said, it had clearly been this way for some time….which should have thrown a code, but never did. All in all, I swapped both intake CVT solenoids and the Right bank intake cam position sensor.

Now my 2010 is about as whisper quiet as those engines can get!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut