LR4 Extended Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhousad

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2010 LR4 with about 43K relatively trouble free miles and was contacted by my dealer regarding an extended warranty. After searching the forums, it seems there are definitely two camps on extended warranties: 1) pocket the money and set aside for future issues which may arise and 2) get the warranty.

While offered through the dealer, the warranty is with Continental Warranty Inc and offers the following:
- Total coverage period of 8yrs/100K
- Honored at any LR service center, including authorized independents
- Seemingly bumper to bumper excluding wear and tear items (comparable to new warranty as I understand)
- $0 deductible
- Transferable with sale of vehicle to new owner

I have been very happy with the truck and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. While I have had no major issues to date, I am still somewhat leery of the emergence of possible future gremlins (particularly electrical) and am inclined to go forward with an extended warranty.

The cost of the warranty is ~$4,000. What I would like feedback on includes:
- Does this cost seem competitive with what others are aware of?
- Any thoughts on purchasing warranty through dealer vs. exploring other offerings. Not sure of what else is available and by whom.

Appreciate the input!
Adam

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is you might want to sell your vehicle and purchase a 2012 CPO, you might be around the same ball park with a newer LR4 when all said and done.

Hershey

Reaction score
I just purchased our 2012 LR4. Initially the dealership (Sacramento LR) offered $4300 for a 72 month/100K extended warranty on top of the manufacturers original warranty which was good until December of 2015.

I repeatedly denied the offer then they offered a last "take it or leave it" price of $3300. I said no and told them I would shop for a warranty through other dealerships.

I'll start shopping for an extended warranty after Christmas.

Anyone know of a better deal or paid for better than $3300 for 72 months/100K.

TD6

Reaction score
I have 2010 LR4 with about 103,800 kilometer on, and still under warranty... I have just changed the battery and some other stuff for free (2 days ago). they just have to send an email to the UK for approval. this is in Saudi Arabia

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has the same warranty but on the LR3. When the dealer found shavings in his rear diff and it was determined that he needed to the diff to be replaced the warranty company gave him a used diff. Apparently the fine print allows them to determine whether they will pay for new or used items. That kind of sucked...

Read the fine print and don't take the dealers salesman word for it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually bought my 2013 used with only ~2k miles on it. When I purchased it, I negotiated in the extended warranty out until 2018. (+2 yrs extension + 3yrs standard) This is overseas though and in harsh desert climate. Worth it to me!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should do a search on extended warranty on this board and the LR3 bouard too because this topic has come up multiple times before. Lot's of folks who went after market with a range of prices/sucess. I bought mine from ford ESP this year and it's one of the more common ones that LR3/LR4 folks have purchased.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, almost regardless of car, if you are planning to take the car pretty close to the limit in miles and years, then a warranty may be worth it (particularly years). However, if you are a 25k miles per year kind of person, or conversely, a 5k miles per year person, I just don't see it being worthwhile. $4k pays for a lot of repairs on a car that is hardly driven or that will run out of warranty shortly due to years and having been highway driven.

If you are very handy, then less of a reason as $4k can buy a lot of parts. But it's always a risk for sure.

TXLR4

Reaction score
You should do a search on extended warranty on this board and the LR3 bouard too because this topic has come up multiple times before. Lot's of folks who went after market with a range of prices/sucess. I bought mine from ford ESP this year and it's one of the more common ones that LR3/LR4 folks have purchased.

How long ago did you buy the warranty from Ford? I tried to get an ESP and they said they no longer can provide one for the land rovers since the companies have split.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my Ford ESP at a local Ford dealership in February ( I think) of 2013.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72