LR4 first service: 7500 or 15000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit 7500 miles and called my dealer to schedule the first service. They responded that it should be done at 15000 miles or 12 months. Is this right?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change the oil myself every 7500 miles. My wife only drives the LR4 about 10K miles/year and I just feel better changing the oil every 9 months or so. I'm sure the 15K change interval is fine as well.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one at about 7500. I dont want the break in engine oil in there for 15k... sounds crazy to me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is right, factory requirement is 15K miles or 12 months service intervals, whichever occurs first, for the 5-liter V8 engine. Diesels have different requirements, not sure about those. Many opinions, here and on other forums, on whether that's too long or not. I replace my oil every 7500 miles as well, as it is my car and I plan on squeezing at least 150-200K miles out of it. I do put about 30-35K miles a year on it, so an oil change is a fairly frequent process for me... Finding the right oil for this car is the hardest part, the process itself is very easy, with the right tools you can do it in your garage in 30 minutes or so and you will barely get your fingertips dirty.

If you are leasing the vehicle, don't sweat it and stick to the dealer's recommended schedule. If you own it it's your call, but make sure you use compatible products (synthetic oil, filter) if you will be performing more frequent oil changes than the dealer's recommended, for warranty purposes.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer do mine at 7k for like $200, lol. In the future I might get a vacuum pump setup and DIY. The 15k mile one was free/included and I had to get my deer strike fixed anyway. I got the car in march and one spot has already been repainted twice. Easy-to-match-fuji-white FTW!

I plan on having this one long term. I'm going to really use it for the tough stuff. It goes off road, it works, it tows... So I hope it holds up. If anything this one will become the work truck in several years when it gets a bit worn and will treat myself to a full fat.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Alex,

I just hit 4,000 on mine and had it since June. I don't really put a lot of miles on it. With that said, I completely agree with Umberto. I leased my 2011, so I only did it at the minimum, but I plan on doing every 7,500 miles on my 2013. I will likely be at that by the time my 1 year comes, so my first one will be the free one. After that, I will likely do it myself and rotate the tires, etc.

-David

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I´ll stick to manufacturer indications and wait out another 7.5K miles which should be close ego the 12 month time lapse.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM