LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your money, for the type of terrain you will have to negotiate, even deep snow, a low range is not necessary. Get the best snow tires money can buy instead, perhaps on a spare set of rims for winter use only.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hi all!

My first post. I'm looking at acquiring a 2014MY LR4 and was looking for advice on the heavy duty package.

I had a very similar experience after speaking with a landrover salesperson the other day. I was told that the twin speed transfer box was only for "serious offroading" and would most benefit from not having it due to the weight savings.

In all honesty, I don't foresee using the LR4 offroad, except for possibly on a dirt or gravel road. However, I do expect to drive through heavy snow accumulations over a foot deep several times per year in Canada. Roads can also get very slippery with ice, snow and slush.

Would I benefit from the twin speed transfer box given my expected driving conditions, or should I rather save the extra cost of the heavy duty package?

Thanks!
Hello Didier, and welcome.

When I read that your salesperson talked about weight savings, that made me think. I would assume, probably as most here would, that the transmission and driveline of a 2014 without low range would be just like a 2013, except for the absence of the low range. The lack of the low range wouldn't account for a significant weight savings. That made me wonder if the downgraded 2014 has the same 4WD setup as the 2013, or if instead it is more of an AWD setup, with a viscous coupling or clutch pack. It would be good to know what's going before moving forward.

Edit: +1 to what umberto said.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When I read that your salesperson talked about weight savings, that made me think. I would assume, probably as most here would, that the transmission and driveline of a 2014 without low range would be just like a 2013, except for the absence of the low range. The lack of the low range wouldn't account for a significant weight savings. That made me wonder if the downgraded 2014 has the same 4WD setup as the 2013, or if instead it is more of an AWD setup, with a viscous coupling or clutch pack. It would be good to know what's going before moving forward.

It will still have the same setup, locking center e-diff. Just wont have low range or the rear e-diff. The rear will be an open diff, just like a MY13 without HD pack.

Didier

Reaction score

Thanks!

I'm no 4WD engineer, but this appears to be the configuration for 2014.

Standard on all LR4s will be: centre electronic locking differential; front and rear axle open differential.
The optional heavy duty package will add three things: a twin speed transfer box, active rear locking differential and a full size spare tire.

I'm sure all that means more to you than it does me!

Can someone explain how the above affects the vehicle's offroad ability?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the lack of a transfer case with low range means you will likely get stuck on off-road trails that demand short gears with lots and lots of low-end grunt to get over obstacles or steep climbs at a controlled, slow and steady speed. High gears just can't provide that type of torque, strength and finesse from a standstill or when moving slowly. That's going to be the biggest shortcoming on a 2014 LR4 without HD pack venturing off road. The lack of a locking rear differential is not a huge issue on anything but very steep, slippery and/or uneven terrain, since the vehicle's built-in traction control system is excellent on its own. Which is why Land Rover used to make it optional on the LR3/4. And I am sure you don't need me to tell you why a full size spare tire may be more desirable to have than a compact donut, especially off-road. :smile:

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the lack of a transfer case with low range means you will likely get stuck on off-road trails that demand short gears with lots and lots of low-end grunt to get over obstacles or steep climbs at a controlled, slow and steady speed. High gears just can't provide that type of torque, strength and finesse from a standstill or when moving slowly. That's going to be the biggest shortcoming on a 2014 LR4 without HD pack venturing off road. The lack of a locking rear differential is not a huge issue on anything but very steep, slippery and/or uneven terrain, since the vehicle's built-in traction control system is excellent on its own. Which is why Land Rover used to make it optional on the LR3/4. And I am sure you don't need me to tell you why a full size spare tire may be more desirable to have than a compact donut, especially off-road. :smile:

If you plan on towing, a full size spare is very nice. Also, for towing a boat up a slippery ramp, the rear diff lock is also nice.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my local LR dealer's line for convincing me that I really didn't need a Heavy Duty pack and should buy a model on their lot without it when I ordered mine last year: "Do you own a boat?" "No." "Aha! You don't tow a boat, so you don't need a Heavy Duty pack, Sir." "Yeah, but I plan on off-roading it." Moment of stunned silence. "Uh, you going to off-road a new LR4? It's a 4 wheel drive, you don't really need a locking differential. You see..." "Look lady, I'm in no rush, just order me one with HD pack, OK?"

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my local LR dealer's line for convincing me that I really didn't need a Heavy Duty pack and should buy a model on their lot without it when I ordered mine last year: "Do you own a boat?" "No." "Aha! You don't tow a boat, so you don't need a Heavy Duty pack, Sir." "Yeah, but I plan on off-roading it." Moment of stunned silence. "Uh, you going to off-road a new LR4? It's a 4 wheel drive, you don't really need a locking differential. You see..." "Look lady, I'm in no rush, just order me one with HD pack, OK?"

Ya, buyer experience for enthusiasts is never going to be great. It is hard to just enjoy it when you know more than the person selling it to you.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, buyer experience for enthusiasts is never going to be great. It is hard to just enjoy it when you know more than the person selling it to you.
mbw hit the nail on the head! I think it is tough for Land Rover enthusiasts/purists to buy a rig because 98% of the buyers are quite different. The sales people get used to a certain clientele and set of questions.

Here in the SF bay area, we have several dealerships pretty close to each other (with one about 2 miles away from my house). Back in 2011 when I was looking at the LR4, I went to the closest LR dealership and the female sales woman knew absolutely NOTHING about the LR4. I had done my research and knew the facts and she made three consecutive mistakes: 1) she thought the LR4 had the same engine as the outgoing LR3, 2) she knew nothing about the 4x4 system, and 3) she had idea about the option choices. It probably sounds like I am being ******* her, but she had worked there for 3 years. I ended up leaving and going to another dealership who were actually much more open to my questions and knew the product line. I used the same dealership when I ordered my 2013 and they did not try to sell me something on the lot, as they knew I wanted the heavy duty package - they thought it was awesome that I was going to actually take it off road.

I feel bad for folks that only have one dealership option - it does make the experience much better to have a good crew.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM