LR4 to use Ford Eco Boost V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thrumcap

Reaction score
Interesting...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-land-rover-lr4-to-use-ford-ecoboost-v6.html

Report: Land Rover LR4 to use Ford EcoBoost V6

By Drew Johnson

Land Rover may no longer be under the corporate umbrella of Ford, but the off-road marque will be going back to the Dearborn well one last time as it aims to comply with upcoming fuel economy regulations.

Land Rover’s ownership switched from Ford to Tata Motors in 2008, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the Blue Oval isn’t part of Land Rover’s future plans. Tata Motors’ cupboard is essentially bare when it comes to clean-burning engines powerful enough to use in large SUVs, forcing Land Rover to look to its old owner for new powertrains.

According to a Leftlane source, Land Rover is planning to use a version of Ford’s 3.5L EcoBoost engine in its LR4 SUV. The LR4 is currently only available with Land Rover’s 375 horsepower 5.0L V8, returning a paltry 12/17mpg – on premium fuel to boot.

In Ford SUV applications, the 3.5L EcoBoost produces 355 horsepower and delivers up to 21mpg highway, all on regular fuel. The LR4 is significantly heavier than any vehicle currently equipped with the EcoBoost engine, but it would seem safe to assume that Land Rover engineers could get the engine close to 20mpg in the LR4.

Ford’s V6 is probably out of the question for Land Rover’s up-scale Range Rover models, but look for an EcoBoost-power LR4 on our shores within the next few years.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be happier to see them bringing the 3 litre 6 Cyl Diesel across the pond. Sorry, make that MUCH happier.

Thrumcap

Reaction score
Me too. I would buy one if the diesel were offered and that says a lot after my Range Rover ownership experience.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have bought the oil burner too... it drives me nuts knowing the rest of the world gets these engines however we don't because we aren't educated enough to have them here.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4.4l v8 feels underpowered in my LR3. I wouldn't buy an Lr4 with the eco boost I'd want the full 5l v8.

slammer

Reaction score
Please no FORD for us. They do not need to come back into our LR lives. They are tinny, higher revving V6's. No thanks. Just bought the 2011 LR4. Lets hope they keep the Jag/L.R. 5.0.

ralph15

Reaction score
Ford builds the 5.0 for both Jaguar and Land Rover. Tata in thier financial statements points this fact out.

slammer

Reaction score
yes , They have a long standing contract for the 5.0's with Tata, and since the sales of Jag and Landie's have risen in recent month's, they have a hard time keeping up with the engine orders from Tata Co. for 5.0 V-8's. The 6 cyl. Fords don't sound or perform like the 8 cyl. models, which is why I really don't want to see Ford's 6 coming to L.R.

ralph15

Reaction score
I had the chance to drive a 2011 F-150 with the 3.5 Eco- boost, you can smoke the tires with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635