LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the pan gasket upgrade to LubeLocker LLT-F6R80.

I bought the metal pan kit from a forum member and still haven't installed it, but I knew on sight that the plain-paper gasket supplied was guaranteed to leak without additional sealant applied (not a good idea on a transmission pan).

I need to order a couple of those LubeLocker gaskets so I can swap the pan and have a spare gasket on hand also. Thanks for the reminder!

:albertein

lub-llt-f6r80_xl.jpg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it makes me sad only 6 months ago i replaced my pan and used the paper gasket. i wish i knew of this gasket upgrade at the time.

the supplied paper gasket is allowing fluid to seep through. there is no pooling or drips, but there is definitely a residue of fluid around the entire pan at the gasket.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it makes me sad only 6 months ago i replaced my pan and used the paper gasket. i wish i knew of this gasket upgrade at the time.

the supplied paper gasket is allowing fluid to seep through. there is no pooling or drips, but there is definitely a residue of fluid around the entire pan at the gasket.

Yes, mine did the same thing even though I had spray sealant on the pan side. I redid it this summer with the same type of gasket before I knew about this other gasket. I put sealant on both sides and it doesn't seem to leak now. I just today got my LubeLocker gasket delivered. Holy how it is nice compared to that paper crap. I am going to redo it again in the spring just for peace of mind. I felt like I was over torquing the bolts with this other stuff.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for once I feel my procrastination has paid off. I've been sitting on my transmission fluid-swap kit for over a year and haven't done the job yet. Now, I've ordered this new gasket, which I will probably sit on as well.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for once I feel my procrastination has paid off. I've been sitting on my transmission fluid-swap kit for over a year and haven't done the job yet. Now, I've ordered this new gasket, which I will probably sit on as well.
Same here, my procrastination also paid off.

This summer, I finally did a drain & refill (without dropping the pan) and was disappointed to only get ~3.5 quarts out, of a ~10.5 (?) quart total capacity. It's gonna take a lot of messy drains & refills to eventually get 80-90% new fluid in there. I was doing to do a second or third drain & refill, and finally remove & replace the pan on the 4th time.

REALLY annoying that JLR did not put a drain plug on the torque converter. The extra two bucks cost would allow easily draining 100% of the fluid.

:musicus:

Last edited:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Need your advice please.

2016 LR4 HSE, 53K miles, bought used.

Dealership changed the transfer case on warranty after we bought it at about 47K miles. They said it was low on fluid and fluid was burned - hmm....
The only symptom was a small shudder when making very tight turns at the limit.
I wasn't all that concerned, but they volunteered to do it!
The repair fixed that shudder.

BUT, their comment gives me concerns about the transmission.

I really don't like how it's shifting from park into drive, a fair clunk, vs our 2013 LR4 that has no noticeable shift at all - perfectly smooth, but now at 85K.

If this was my truck, I would be more liberal about changing out the pan, but it's my daughters and she will be driving it cross country to school in the fall and I have a history of gaskets leaking - just my luck... Plus this project is right on the edge of something I really want to tackle. (Plenty of experience, but this project sounds like a pita..)

SO, as a first and hopefully last step, why not just use the fill gun to suck out as much fluid as possible from the fill port and refill, repeat, repeat ...
Yes, I understand about changing the filter and why that's a good idea....

Also, why not just tap a drain plug port into the existing pan. Or would this put too many bits of refuse into the system...

I would be doing this in the garage on the floor.

Your comments?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not too big of a PITA, it just takes a fair amount of time on your back.. I've never heard of someone clogging a filter on one of these, but since I plan on running mine until the doors fall off I decided to do the full job- kind of a peace of mind thing.

I think you can pull a transmission cooler hose somewhere and get more fluid out of it- I'm on my second fluid change and it would be nice to get more out in one shot. I'll have to look into that.

Mike

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, do you want to just change the fluid multiple times without removing the pan? If so, why not use the drain plug? This makes a terrible mess, but might be slightly faster & easier than using the fill plug hole.

The 6-speed pan has a drain plug, I assumed the 8-speed would also have a drain plug - not certain though. My 2010 only drained out 3.5 quarts when I did not remove the pan. If my maths are correct, that means I now have 30-35% new fluid. I was going to do a few more drain & refills to try and replace most of the fluid and then later on swap to the metal pan and replace the filter. Second time should get me to ~50% new fluid, third time ~66%, I think? The math makes my head spin.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Got under both the 2013 and the 2016 LR4's today.

2013. Easy access to fill plug and drain plug and looks to be good access for changing out the pan. I don't see any issues with things being tight. The exhaust is close, but I have worked closer. Will do a drain/fill when I have the chance.

2016. Too many shrouds to see much, but overall clearances for changing out the pan looks fine. There is no drain plug on the drawings for a 2016 so I will assume that there is no drain plug. If there is access to any of the cooling lines to pull a hose for draining the transmission, it is not immediately evident. Will need to look at the drawings. This is the one that is shifting rough so it gets attention first. Might just have the dealership do it - depends on the cost and my schedule before it gets too hot outside.

Put both in off road height and plenty of room to slide in underneath and work. Would be hot when filling the system...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV