LR4 v8 5.0l Spark Plug DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video! Everyone has their own techniques and I do agree that it's easier to get to them if you pull out the battery sidings. What I don't agree is that this is an easy job. It takes more than an hour, even if you're super efficient. With that said, throw some Denso Long Life Iridiums in there and you'll be set for a few years.

I like Densos over NGKs, but thats a personal preference.

Agreed.

Did this job yesterday in between family zooms and turkey. I went into it deciding to take my time and spend some extra work making the job easy, so I removed a lot of the stuff on either side of the engine

On the driver's side, removing the air cleaner box (super easy) and the ECU box made it relatively trouble free. Hardest part was the torx bolt holding in the coil closest to the firewall as there's some metal tubing that doesn't flex much and blocks access. Used a small, low profile bit-ratchet on that one. The spark plug for that spot was ironically easy to get get to as the tubing that blocked the torx bolt did not block the spark plug at all.

On the passenger side, I removed the airbox and the battery/battery box. Some people have said they did the job without doing the latter, but I just wanted to make my life easier.

The wiring harness on the passenger side was a bit of a PITA to disconnect and get out of the way so that I could access the torx bolts holding the coils in. The wires are stiff and hard to move, especially closes to the firewall. Also had to disconnect each individual coil. After that, though, it was simple to do.

After looking at my plugs, I wonder if I even needed to do the job. Pretty good for 100k miles.

IMG_5837.jpeg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your LR4 and are you the original owner? I notice the plus are 7C10 so either LR made a running change at the factory on the 2011s+ or the plugs were changed at some point.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012, but bought new towards the very end of 2012.

I'm the second owner, but I bought at 40k miles and saw all the records before I bought it. These are the originals.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. LR changed the heat range spec sometime after the 2010s

grasan00

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tip on how to get the coil pack off easier? I could not get the rear passenger side pack off the plug. Tight space and little room to move. It's like the Chinese handcuffs we played with as kids. The harder you pull the tight it got.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9