LR4 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closing the loop a little. Had my local shop replace the passenger side gasket, took them a little longer than they expected but had reached a point that if I left it longer, would have had an engine fire.

Ian K

Reaction score
Closing the loop a little. Had my local shop replace the passenger side gasket, took them a little longer than they expected but had reached a point that if I left it longer, would have had an engine fire.
If you don't mind me asking, about what did this run? I just bought an LR4 last week and the alternator failed. Upon inspection I found this as the probable cause (oil leaking from front right and dropping right into the generator). I'll replace the alternator myself, but the valve covers look a bit more involved than I feel like digging into.

mikegraef

Reaction score
Hey guys - any feedback you can share with the rest of us? Any specific challenges in making this repair? Are removing/replacing the injectors difficult?

I'm getting ready to do this job myself - the $2,200 from indy shop to do the work was just a bit steep right now.

Any suggestions/reference materials/etc to do this job properly is greatly appreciated!

Mike

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - any feedback you can share with the rest of us? Any specific challenges in making this repair? Are removing/replacing the injectors difficult?

I'm getting ready to do this job myself - the $2,200 from indy shop to do the work was just a bit steep right now.

Any suggestions/reference materials/etc to do this job properly is greatly appreciated!

Mike

injectors can be hit and miss. some people complain they are really stuck. they require a specialty tool to be removed.

i had what would normally appear to be a leaky valve cover gasket. it ended up being a leaking oil filter housing gasket...the one at the block, not the filter cover. 15 minute repair.
https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/oil-leak-top-of-engine.42089/

maybe also tighten the valve cover bolts a little?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on engine. V8 is easier than the V6.

I think book is 10hrs to remove the supercharger, but it takes less than 4hrs even taking your time.

As Daytona said, injectors are hit or miss. I had 4 come right out, and two took about an hour of off and on "slide-hammering" with the removal tool.

The fuel rail may give you a little trouble, but just keep wiggling it and it will come off.

If passenger side, then you also have to remove the hard fuel lines from the HPFPs---it lays on top of the valve cover.

Mike

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like my valve cover gasket is leaking on the passenger side as others experienced in this thread. I am looking for some good info on how to go about replacing the gasket(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Higgins

Reaction score
I can't help with the DIY piece but just wanted to add that my local dealer (San Diego area) wants $4000 to do both left and right gaskets (5.0 V8 in my 2011). Only one is leaking but they recommended doing both to save on labor.
Luckily my extended warranty covers the leaking one so it's going to cost me my $150 deductible only.
If I didn't have a warranty; I'd certainly be looking at a DIY job though.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help with the DIY piece but just wanted to add that my local dealer (San Diego area) wants $4000 to do both left and right gaskets (5.0 V8 in my 2011). Only one is leaking but they recommended doing both to save on labor.
Luckily my extended warranty covers the leaking one so it's going to cost me my $150 deductible only.
If I didn't have a warranty; I'd certainly be looking at a DIY job though.
How many miles on your rover? Mine aren't leaking, but this seems like a more occurring problem recently.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, $4000 represents a “savings” in labor? I’d like to see their quote for a full timing chain job.

At least it makes me feel better buying expensive tools to fix things myself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA