LR4 vs Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will wait for the longer Defender to materialize. AS it stands now the reduction in cargo room is a deal killer. I sleep in the LR4 at trailheads and that is just not possible in the Defender.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a serious option for us, but we opted for a lightly used 2013 LR4 because of many reasons mentioned above:
interior space, engine grunt, cost difference.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I'm able to see from comparing dealers it looks like some of them are pricing their units with a premium thinking first purchasers are going to pay it. I am encouraged also that there are several options out there beside the "First Editions".

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting fact that here "Down-Under" the value of a good condition D4 - 2014-2016, has
INCREASED since full details on the new Defender became available. It seems a lot of serious off-roading
guys were anxiously waiting for Defender to update from their current D4's. BUT now they weigh-up
the pro's & con's of the change & have decided to stay with their D4 or buy a newer lower-mileage D4.
The Defender is about to go on sale here in Oz in 110 model only, the 90 will follow in a few months.
We're getting the two 2.0 liter turbo diesels & the "big" gas 6 cyl. No 3.0 liter 6 cyl. diesel will be
available & that's the big problem in this country as I see it. I don't care how much power & torque
the small 4 cyl. diesels show in the dealers specs, Aussies like bigger engines for off-roading & are
loathe to pay what's going to be a huge price for a new & largely untried 4WD.
With our huge Outback distances to cover diesel is virtually the only option. Almost nobody buys a gas
powered 4WD if they're doing big off-road trips. Note; the only Toyota Landcruiser on sale here now is
the 4.5 liter V8 turbo diesel. Nissan Patrol (Armada) is V8 gas-only too.

The other big issue with Defender is its size - much smaller in the load area. Most D4 owners would like
a bit more load space, not LESS! AND what's with that stupid-looking box on the rear side window??
It looks like it will snag on scrub/trees on narrow bush tracks. I can imagine the cost to fix the damage!

Aftermarket gear is the great unknown at the moment. If the numbers sold are small here, then ARB, TJR,
Opposite Lock, Brown Davis etc will not tool-up to produce a full range of gear like front & rear bars, rock-
sliders, aux. fuel tanks & the like. We can now get just about everything we want for our D4's, except a
rear 'locker & side-rails from the bull-bar.

I'm keeping my D4 forever - fixing whatever breaks or wears out. I love driving it - comfortable, carries
lots of gear, powerful enough & economical, although mine is now well over 3 tons with all the gear on it
& 51 US gals of fuel & so fuel economy is not quite what is was - but can still get 1200 miles on the tanks.
Maybe if LR release a 130 version of Defender with more engine options it will be a better option to a D4 to consider.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out, LR Bedford NH - $91,475 for an SE. They must be tripping...

upload_2020-6-16_18-29-19.png

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go to LRNA's website and check the entire US inventory, there are about 350 in the US and many are well under $80 South Atlanta had one right at $60k.

JPG_91

Reaction score
Just got a Defender HSE this past weekend. Sticker was just under 80k. Had an LR4 a few years ago that stickered around 60k which was an awesome truck until I got in a an accident in it. LR4 was definitely more luxurious but I really like some of the design cues in the Defender and when they canceled the Discovery SVX, I felt like Defender was the truck for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV