LR4 vs Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-lr4

Reaction score
We've owned our LR4 for 9 years now, longer than any other car. We still absolutely love the vehicle, and were not impressed when the new Disco was released. Monday we're going to test drive the new Defender. Has anyone else compared the LR4 to the Defender? If so what are your thoughts?

Quite a timely post. We are pretty much in the same boat right now. ours is a 2013 sitting right at 120K. Overall, its been reliable and We will probably keep it till at least 150K. WE would love to keep it if it was only going to be used for daily driving duties around town. But it is also our long distance family tourer and the initial signs of unease (regarding taking it on multi-state trips at that level of mileage and it breaking down and leaving us stranded) has set in.

We do not like the D5 and have been waiting patiently for the defender to show up at our local dealership. BUt if cargo area has decreased, then that might be a deal breaker. The other option would be to switch to a Land Cruiser.. either the 200 series or wait a couple more years to see how the 300 series turns out. We do off road occasionally in the southwest, so that is a consideration as well.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a lot to like about the defender, but the cargo space and smaller 3rd row are a deal breaker while my kids are still small.

I saw this video yesterday.

JPG_91

Reaction score
I agree. If you need the third row seats, wait for the 130. My kids are grown now so don't need the third row and the second row is very big.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a Defender HSE this past weekend. Sticker was just under 80k. Had an LR4 a few years ago that stickered around 60k which was an awesome truck until I got in a an accident in it. LR4 was definitely more luxurious but I really like some of the design cues in the Defender and when they canceled the Discovery SVX, I felt like Defender was the truck for me.
Congrats on the new vehicle. I have to say that I like the new Defender quite a lot, but am going to wait and buy one used in 5-6 years like I did for my LR4. But I'm glad that there are folks willing to step up and take on a brand new vehicle like this and I'd love to hear how it works for you as you settle into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pchak

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I replaced my '08 LR3 (six years, 135K), with a 2012 LR4 in Feb. I only lost about 1 mpg, and gained a whole lot of whoop a$$. I hate the radio, but that's about it. I planned on using it as a transition to the Defender, when they start coming off lease in a couple years. I probably should have just kept the LR3, as it was paid for. A bit of rot underneath from salt water (got stuck in the OBX during a tropical storm), so didn't want to take chances.
As far as I'm concerned, the LR5 is an aberration from another timeline, where Ford still owned LR, and rebadges Explorers. Not canon. :-D

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
130 will be huge.
I didn't see much commentary on this... the 130 is the long wheelbase / extended version, correct? Will this take care of the complaints about reduced cargo space and smaller 3rd row, vs the LR4? Just curious.

We plan to keep the LR4 as long as possible, but maybe 10 years from now a 130 Defender might be a cromulent alternative.

:cool:

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 130 will have the same wheelbase as the 110, but a longer rear overhang to allow for more rear cargo space and a larger 3rd row. LR has not confirmed it's coming to the US yet nor when it would be launched.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72