LR4 vs MDX "Ride" on washboard and moderately rough roads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I asked this before, but this is a question from my wife. We drover our MDX on what might be consider a "rough" dirt road (classified as 2 in one of the backroads books we were using.) She wanted to know if they LR4 won't feel as rough as our Acura MDX on roads like that or "washboarded" roads. I didn't know what to tell her.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 MDX is a crossover tuned for on pavement performance. Handling is closer to X5 than Lexus RX350. 4332 lbs. 7.3" ground clearance. No air suspension. 19" wheels w/ 255/55 tires.

My wife is simply hoping that the off-road ride will be more comfortable. Of course the truck needs to go up and down. But on the simply rough or washboard road will the air suspension tame the vibration and bumps? (They wouldn't let me test this on my test drive.)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be surprised of how comfortable the LR4 is both on-road and off-road.
I don't think that you can really compare both of them off-road since the MDX was build to be a street car whereas the LR4 has been purposefully crafted to be able to tackle difficult off-road terrain (in the US, it's mainly used to cruise around the mall parking lots I admit).
Don't forget LR motto "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary".

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard that motto. That is good to keep in mind. I am looking forward to learning now to drive this thing - when it finally arrives. I must admit that with the MDX the "fun" kicks in when I am exceeding the speed limit on curving roads.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually find the ride on washboards and graded backroads to be pretty darn uncomfortable and punishing on the LR4. Although they are wonderful almost anywhere else, I believe the electronic air suspensions are a liability compared to coilers over those terrains, and they will be that way until Land Rover starts making these vehicle lighter and fits them with some type of variable dampers. You can alleviate the issue somewhat by airing down a few PSIs and, if it is safe, by speeding up to a pretty good clip, so that the car literally starts "gliding" over the washboard, minimizing the noise of your teeth rattling... Riding on chunky 18s, rather than low profile 20s, helps an awful lot of course.. But you could probably do all that with an MDX as well... Bottom line is, the ride is ******* the LR4 over washboards, you may actually find it less comfortable overall than your MDX on coils, despite the fairly stiff and sporty suspensions of the Acura.

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
Dan - I do not think you will find any stock configuration of shock, tires springs, leaf coil etc…that is set to make washboard roads a comfortable ride.

I think Umberto nailed it, air down set to 4WD HI and go as fast as you can safely and slow down for turns.

If you do not have a compressor than airing down won't be your best option unless there is a gas station nearby the road you are traveling so you can air back up.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Umberto - that is my experience. If I go over washboards and graded backroads for a while, I tend to air down and it's better. Overall, it's very uncomfortable.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends a little on the type of washboard too. Nothing is going to make a tractor created washboard comfy, they just have to grade the roads to fix that.

I'm guessing I live near more tractors than the rest of you though. I can also see hundreds of acres of fields from my front yard. :D

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends a little on the type of washboard too. Nothing is going to make a tractor created washboard comfy, they just have to grade the roads to fix that.

I'm guessing I live near more tractors than the rest of you though. I can also see hundreds of acres of fields from my front yard. :D
I am a bit jealous - I love rural farm land. Here in CA it's so busy, but still some pretty open areas. Our place in UT is in the desert and it's pretty, but really harsh and hot (or cold).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72