LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@umbertob As the others have said, thanks for snapping all of those detailed pics!

Here are a few spec comparisons between the LR4 & Disco 5. I included fuel economy specs for the RRS (since LR hasn't released official numbers for the Disco) because they'll likely be similar, given that they're using the same SCV6 & TD6. These numbers are based on 7-seat versions, and with the (optional) air suspension for the Disco 5. The numbers make me less annoyed with it, but flaws and oversights do obviously exist. I'll be looking forward to the off-road version (SVX..?) that LR plans to release later on, but that's of course in second place behind the all-new Defender. ;)

Turning circle (curb-to-curb):
LR4 — 37.6’
Disco 5 — 40.4’

Width (mirrors out):

LR4 — 85.7”
Disco 5 — 87.4”

Wheelbase:
LR4 — 113.6”
Disco 5 — 115.0”

Ground clearance (off-road height):
LR4 — 9.4”
Disco 5 — 11.1”

Wading depth (off-road height):
LR4 — 27.5”
Disco 5 — 35.4”

Approach angle, ramp 'break-over' angle, departure angle (off-road height):
LR4 — 37.6º, 27.9º, 29.6º
Disco 5 — 34.0º, 27.5º, 30.0º

Cargo space volume (behind 1st/2nd rows):
LR4 — 90.3 cu.ft/42.1 cu.ft
Disco 5 — 82.7 cu.ft/45 cu.ft

Cargo space dimensions (at entry):
LR4 — 48.6”W/47.1”H
Disco 5 — 55”W/36”H

Fuel capacity (US gallons):
LR4 — 22.8
Disco 5 — 23.5/22.5 (gasoline/diesel)

Curb weight:
LR4 — 5617lbs/5655lbs (V8/SCV6)
Disco 5 — 4835lbs/4916lbs (gasoline/diesel)

Towing capacity:
LR4 — 7716lbs
Disco 5 — 8201lbs/7716lbs (gasoline/diesel)

Fuel economy (RRS likely to be similar to D5):
LR4 — 12/17 & 15/19 (V8 & SCV6)
Disco 5 — TBD...
RRS — 17/23 & 22/28 (gasoline/diesel)

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the configurator site, the high gloss piano black interior trim surrounding the nav screen and the cup holder are standard for all models. What is optional are the dash and door trims. Unfortunately, they're prone to scratches. The black exterior trims (pillars and tailgate rims) are likewise fingerprint magnets and easily scratched. It's a constant gripe amongst RRS owners.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all USB ports... Feeding 5V, so all capable of recharging most USB powered devices.

Well, that's a load of crap. Newer Samsung devices use "Adaptive Fast Charging" and varies on the charge cycle up to 9V. Sure it can still charge on the USB standard 5V, but its far slower. Sucks.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Finally, there are only 2 sunroofs on the new Disco, but they are larger than the 3 on the LR4. Not sure if the photos show that well enough. The front sunroof only can be opened fully or in vent position (at least on the HSE Lux models on display at the show), and a blind - rather than a perforated sunshade - can be deployed electrically on both to completely block sunlight...

I actually like the perforated shade because you can keep nice fresh air in the truck while keeping bugs and mosquitoes out. I have used a sleeping pad and sleeping bag a few times in the back of the LR4 with the perforated shade closed / sunroof wide open.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a load of crap. Newer Samsung devices use "Adaptive Fast Charging" and varies on the charge cycle up to 9V. Sure it can still charge on the USB standard 5V, but its far slower. Sucks.

The automotive industry will never catch up with the ever changing standards (usually proprietary or semi-proprietary stuff, such as Adaptive Fast Charging... Only Samsung and a couple of other manufacturers use it, and some of their phones catch fire in the process! ) of the latest mobile gadgets. Can't really fault Land Rover for that "crap".

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the configurator site, the high gloss piano black interior trim surrounding the nav screen and the cup holder are standard for all models. What is optional are the dash and door trims. Unfortunately, they're prone to scratches. The black exterior trims (pillars and tailgate rims) are likewise fingerprint magnets and easily scratched. It's a constant gripe amongst RRS owners.

My 2016 Land Cruiser has a lot of that glossy black around the dash on the console. Yep, shows ever spec of dust. I keep a clean rag tucked just under the inside front of the driver's seat so I can easily grab it while driving to "dust off" the trim and, more importantly, the display.

BTW, my LC has a compartment in the dash to store your phone and it has a wireless charging pad. Of course, I have an iPhone so it is irrelevant.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@umbertob As the others have said, thanks for snapping all of those detailed pics!

Here are a few spec comparisons between the LR4 & Disco 5. I included fuel economy specs for the RRS (since LR hasn't released official numbers for the Disco) because they'll likely be similar, given that they're using the same SCV6 & TD6. These numbers are based on 7-seat versions, and with the (optional) air suspension for the Disco 5. The numbers make me less annoyed with it, but flaws and oversights do obviously exist. I'll be looking forward to the off-road version (SVX..?) that LR plans to release later on, but that's of course in second place behind the all-new Defender. ;)

Turning circle (curb-to-curb):
LR4 — 37.6’
Disco 5 — 40.4’

Width (mirrors out):

LR4 — 85.7”
Disco 5 — 87.4”

Wheelbase:
LR4 — 113.6”
Disco 5 — 115.0”

Ground clearance (off-road height):
LR4 — 9.4”
Disco 5 — 11.1”

Wading depth (off-road height):
LR4 — 27.5”
Disco 5 — 35.4”

Approach angle, ramp 'break-over' angle, departure angle (off-road height):
LR4 — 37.6º, 27.9º, 29.6º
Disco 5 — 34.0º, 27.5º, 30.0º

Cargo space volume (behind 1st/2nd rows):
LR4 — 90.3 cu.ft/42.1 cu.ft
Disco 5 — 82.7 cu.ft/45 cu.ft

Cargo space dimensions (at entry):
LR4 — 48.6”W/47.1”H
Disco 5 — 55”W/36”H

Fuel capacity (US gallons):
LR4 — 22.8
Disco 5 — 23.5/22.5 (gasoline/diesel)

Curb weight:
LR4 — 5617lbs/5655lbs (V8/SCV6)
Disco 5 — 4835lbs/4916lbs (gasoline/diesel)

Towing capacity:
LR4 — 7716lbs
Disco 5 — 8201lbs/7716lbs (gasoline/diesel)

Fuel economy (RRS likely to be similar to D5):
LR4 — 12/17 & 15/19 (V8 & SCV6)
Disco 5 — TBD...
RRS — 17/23 & 22/28 (gasoline/diesel)

Interesting. Something of a mixed bag here. I certainly like the additional ground clearance but too bad it didn't translate into better angles. The LR4s had 11.1" of clearance down the middle. I wonder what the 11.1" on the Discovery corresponds to.

I also wonder what flexibility you all will have with larger and/or wider tires. Too early to tell I assume.

Wading depth is awesome.

Towing capacity on the gasoline version looks great as well - if it supports a tongue weight that is at least 10-15% of the total trailer weight and/or supports weight distribution hitches. An interesting and somewhat curious difference between the Toyota Land Cruiser and the corresponding Lexus LX570 is that the latter only has a towing capacity of 7,000# while the LC is SAE rated at 8100#. The only significant difference between the two is that the LX570 has adjustable (hydraulic) suspension. I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference when configured with/without the air suspension. (BTW, there are many times when I miss that AS on my LC.)

Lighter weight may make it a bit more nimble off road.

Cargo space dimensions are tough to interpret but I think one nice thing is that the middle row can move forward and backward. Flexibility.

Turning circle, width and wheelbase are not as good when considering off road trails or tight parking lots. But maybe not that bad for similar crossover SUVs.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The black lacquer finish in my father's RRS is very pretty until you see the thousands of hairline scratches and smudges near the cupholders. I wish there were other tasteful finishes LR could use in those high traffic areas...

Interesting. Something of a mixed bag here. I certainly like the additional ground clearance but too bad it didn't translate into better angles. The LR4s had 11.1" of clearance down the middle. I wonder what the 11.1" on the Discovery corresponds to.

I also wonder what flexibility you all will have with larger and/or wider tires. Too early to tell I assume.

Wading depth is awesome.

Towing capacity on the gasoline version looks great as well - if it supports a tongue weight that is at least 10-15% of the total trailer weight and/or supports weight distribution hitches. An interesting and somewhat curious difference between the Toyota Land Cruiser and the corresponding Lexus LX570 is that the latter only has a towing capacity of 7,000# while the LC is SAE rated at 8100#. The only significant difference between the two is that the LX570 has adjustable (hydraulic) suspension. I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference when configured with/without the air suspension. (BTW, there are many times when I miss that AS on my LC.)

Lighter weight may make it a bit more nimble off road.

Cargo space dimensions are tough to interpret but I think one nice thing is that the middle row can move forward and backward. Flexibility.

Turning circle, width and wheelbase are not as good when considering off road trails or tight parking lots. But maybe not that bad for similar crossover SUVs.

According to LR's website, the Discovery has 11.18" of clearance at the axles. Tongue weight remains the same at 771lbs for both gasoline and diesel versions. I think one thing to take away from the cargo figures is that space is adequate, but the entry point to the cargo area is tight since the body tapers quite a bit, unlike the LR4 — looks > function. I absolutely love how tightly the LR4 can turn so I'd likely miss that a good bit, but the difference isn't all too big.

Roversurf

Reaction score
@umbertob - I checked out the Disco 5 at the LA auto show today as well. I am not large by any means, but found the driver's seat side bolsters (the ones that touch your back) very tight and uncomfortable. I asked the Landover associate there if they were adjustable and she said only the lumbar support was because there are airbags in the side bolsters. Were you able to get them to adjust them? The actual back portion of the seat is barely wider than the headrest width. I am in the market for an LR4 and wanted to check this disco out first. I was actually impressed with the truck and would consider it if the seats felt better, wondering if it was just me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72