Lucky 8 LR4 ARB Rear Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is mine climbing "the wall" at Poughkeepsie many years ago. ;)

Excuse my buddy's doofus commentary, and skip to about 2:00 for the driving.

To each their own, but I wouldn't have one without a locker, and now have an airlocker in the front as well. These are big, heavy rigs. They need all the help they can get IMO.

I bought mine new, and it was a pain to get one with a locker even then. I walked out of one dealer as they flatly refused to order me one with the HD option. Ended up going to San Antonio from Houston to get mine.

If anyone is looking for a skilled differential guy, I have someone in Austin, TX that I can recommend. He installed my front locker and it has been flawless after thousands of miles. He knows Rovers and has done many in his shop. Shoot me a PM if needed.

I don't doubt that the locker is extremely handy. There are videos of the new Defender wheeling, both models with and without the rear locker, and you can tell the difference.

If I wind up keeping my LR4 for a while longer (I'm leaning that way right now), I may source a wrecked LR4 with a locker somewhere and pull all the stuff I need out of it.

But if I'm honest with myself, for the vast majority of stuff I do I don't need a locker. If I was looking to buy a 2014 to 16 LR4, there's no way I would buy one without the HD package. But I can make do with my pre facelift model with no HD package.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having wheeled my non-HD 2012 LR4 for the near-5 years I've owned it, the only time I've really wished I had the locker is in muddy conditions. I went all over the dry and rocky Ouray-Silverton-Lake City area of Colorado and didn't miss the locker once.

These trails aren't too difficult, though, apart from the pucker factor (and Poughkeepsie Gulch, which I did not do). But they are pretty much what I want to do in my vehicle, so the LR4 has worked out great.

And I've taken a "keep it looking stock" approach to mine. Getting 18" wheels with aired down tires would only make it better.

Did you take it over Black Bear? That is probably the most infamous, but actually easy trail in the area. The 4 did particularly well there. It and the Jeeps were the only guys we saw running it that could navigate the switchbacks without turning them into a multipoint turn. It is stunningly beautiful, as well.

I would like to go back sometime and run it backwards on the one day per year they do that.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't convince the wife to do Black Bear. We did Imogene into Telluride and Ophir back out. Then the Alpine Loop.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't convince the wife to do Black Bear. We did Imogene into Telluride and Ophir back out. Then the Alpine Loop.

Haha. My wife went wheeling with me once in Colorado in a rented Jeep. Got back from that day and I was informed she would never be doing that again....

This was going up to the radio tower above Silverton. At least she skis.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
2012 LR4, 65k miles non-HD:

Just recently had an ARB locker installed.
Also, at the same time, did the timing chain and few other engine bay items such as crank battery replaced, steering hose, vacuum pump and replaced rear control arms with poly bushings.

Everything is good with exception of a new issue since all the work was completed which might be an ARB Locker issue but I’m currently investigating/troubleshooting.

I’m having a front traction control issue.

Traction control issue better explained: It feels like a front wheel drive vehicle hunting for traction in slippery conditions, but I'm on dry pavement. DSC nor any other warning lights come on. No faults at all light up on dashboard.

To help troubleshoot the issue, the dealership took 4 stock wheels from another LR4 in the shop, put them on my vehicle, test drove the truck and no issue with the traction control. so they say...

The dealership measured the tread on front and rear. Big difference between them, front are like new, rear with 5% life so I replaced the rear tires. Doing this didn’t fix the issue.

Taking the truck back to the auto shop for further/deeper investigation.

Any thoughts, guidance, advice please share.

A little bit of regret going on. Feeling like I should have replaced the front control arms along with the rears that I had done and skipped the locker. I’ve always relied on lifted, good tires and good wheel placement and a great spotter. Along with maxtracs and a winch.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am searching a number of threads and posting my issue as it could be caused by any number of factors.

I have a 2012 LR4. I recently had an ARB Locker installed. I also had my engine chain replaced, replaced both rear control arms with poly bushings and had the crank battery replaced.

After all the work I discovered a really bad traction control issue in the front-end, which is better explained: It feels like a front wheel drive vehicle hunting for traction in slippery conditions, but I'm on dry pavement. DSC nor any other warning lights come on. No faults at all light up on dashboard.

I’ve posted this issue under the thread “pulls hard right on acceleration.” This issue is commonly referred to as “torque steering” on this forum.
Link:
https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/pulls-hard-right-on-acelleration.20138/

To help troubleshoot the issue:
1. the dealership took 4 stock wheels from another LR4 in the shop, put them on my vehicle, test drove the truck and no issue with the traction control, meaning the torque steering issue went away. From what I’m told... although I haven’t tested myself.

2. My LR has KO2 tires on Compo rims, the dealership measured the tread on the front and rear. Big difference between them. The dealership said the diagnostic computer is measuring an approximate 3 mph speed difference in the front when compared to the rear. It was suggested that I replace all 4 tires. The fronts were “like” new and rear had very little tread left. So I replaced all 4 tires with new KO2 and a day later had a 4 wheel alignment done by my local Land Rover dealership (today, 4/29).

3. The dealership checked my steering sensors, again no issues and no faults on the dash or when I use my GAP Tool.

In the middle of all of this (a little over a week ago) I discovered I had a near blown right rear wheel bearing and from the test-driving/troubleshooting I completely destroyed it. In hindsight, it’s a good thing I kept searching for what was causing the front-end issue because I would not had discovered that my wheel bearing was so bad. I could have found out somewhere on a trail or a long car trip with my family. It could have ended much worse.

As a result, I had both right/left wheel bearings replaced and the right rear axle replaced. Driving with the blown wheel bearing damaged the axle. The only thing left to replace is the left axle but it doesn’t need it. No damage. After having the wheel bearings replaced and right axel, I still have the torque steering issue.

I’m concerned that the locker is the cause of my torque steering issue. Any thoughts you might have that would be causing the steering issue would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

LRMore

Reaction score
Would be interested to hear if there was any update as also considering the ARB rear locker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV