Lucky 8 SYA Kit Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in Moab, 2 or 3 miles deep into a trail and had a front air strut develop a huge hole in the airbag. I was so happy that my tires weren't rubbing. That would have been the least of my problems.

I'd go for the SYA kit but like others said, fix up any problems in your suspension.

You may have given it elsewhere, but any story on the air strut failure? How old was it? Was there anything you know that caused the leak?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have given it elsewhere, but any story on the air strut failure? How old was it? Was there anything you know that caused the leak?

I was around 110k or 115k miles if I remember correctly. OEM, so 10 years old.

I tore one of the rubber seals/components that seals the air in. At normal ride height and a flat road it actually didn't leak much, but higher ride heights or any extension on the airbag it was so bad.

I'm assuming it was just old and worn, and beating it up the day before on a rough trail didn't help. The trail I was on when it failed was awful. I was aired down a lot and still got beat up a bit. I still have the strut and will probably tear it down eventually to see what exactly failed.

Worst part was it never leaked before, I had no warning signs prior to the failure. I left my car parked for about a month (work training) in my garage and it didn't sag at all...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a good portion of the airbag on the struts that just folds over itself when sitting at normal ride height. Guessing it sealed itself in?

I changed my front struts at around 100k miles and just did my rears about 2.5 years later at around 128k miles. If yours was an AZ truck its whole life, I wonder if the rubber just dried out over time.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a good portion of the airbag on the struts that just folds over itself when sitting at normal ride height. Guessing it sealed itself in?

I changed my front struts at around 100k miles and just did my rears about 2.5 years later at around 128k miles. If yours was an AZ truck its whole life, I wonder if the rubber just dried out over time.

Wasn't an AZ truck until I brought it here about 5 years ago. But still a lot of time here. I'll take a look at it some day.

Blueaz

Reaction score
OK, finished my suspension recalibration. First returned my ride height to default with the GAP IID tool, then followed the recalibration procedures. The front recalibration was -24mm and the rear was +17. Will see if it makes any difference.

Also, my fault codes related to suspension are pictured below. The RLM-Suspension fault date of August 27th was off road when I noticed the air leaking from the front left strut.

The Brake Module fault is from 2 days earlier and that was on the road and it may have been when I dropped to my bumps, I can't recall exactly. If/when it happens again I will check faults that day.

brake fault.jpg

susp fault.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the same code I just dealt with. It would sometimes pop up every 4 or 5 days, and sometimes more than once in a day. Only difference is mine was C1130-66 (AF), but I've never really made sense of what the code in the parenthesis means on these.

I had already replaced my front struts about 20k miles ago, and my front valve block a month ago or so, and the code was still popping up.

Code seems to finally have gone away when I replaced my rear air struts, and then the rear valve block the next day. Not really sure which one of those did it, but based on a lot of searches it could have been either of those. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the struts. Almost 130k miles on them, so they were probably due.

A good place to get OE Land Rover parts for these at a lower cost is from the UK. LRParts, LRCentre, etc. Shipping is reasonable and I get the stuff just as quick as if I ordered from a lot of suppliers in the U.S.

Leotkowns

Reaction score
Any issues during calibration? I'm a new GAP tool user and I tried multiple times the other day and could not get it to work correctly. LF moved correctly, RF only moved one direction, and both rears would not move. There was just a steady click as I held down the lower button. Hold it for more than 5 seconds and it would flash suspension fault. No actual fault stored. I have been meaning to reach out to GAP but haven't yet.

Blueaz

Reaction score
Any issues during calibration? I'm a new GAP tool user and I tried multiple times the other day and could not get it to work correctly. LF moved correctly, RF only moved one direction, and both rears would not move. There was just a steady click as I held down the lower button. Hold it for more than 5 seconds and it would flash suspension fault. No actual fault stored. I have been meaning to reach out to GAP but haven't yet.
I followed the exact instructions in the GAP IID manual beginning on page 106. Then I proceeded with "Option 1: Calibrating the left sensor and using the right side as reference" that begins on page 108. I did all the calculations (see below) to yield the new calibration values. Then I followed the directions on page 110 to make the adjustments. I'll PDF the applicable pages and attach them to this post.

Attachments

• +GAP 106-110c.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

Blueaz

Reaction score
That's the same code I just dealt with. It would sometimes pop up every 4 or 5 days, and sometimes more than once in a day. Only difference is mine was C1130-66 (AF), but I've never really made sense of what the code in the parenthesis means on these.

I had already replaced my front struts about 20k miles ago, and my front valve block a month ago or so, and the code was still popping up.

Code seems to finally have gone away when I replaced my rear air struts, and then the rear valve block the next day. Not really sure which one of those did it, but based on a lot of searches it could have been either of those. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the struts. Almost 130k miles on them, so they were probably due.

A good place to get OE Land Rover parts for these at a lower cost is from the UK. LRParts, LRCentre, etc. Shipping is reasonable and I get the stuff just as quick as if I ordered from a lot of suppliers in the U.S.
Good info, thank you. I'll have my mechanic look at the compressor and valve blocks next time it's in for whatever breaks next.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72