Making Snorkel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after much playing with underhood air intake i am still unhappy - wanna more fresh and coldish air :)

So i am planning to embark on journey of making snorkel (buying it would be far too logical) - anyone care to share experience? So far i managed to find only one home made snorkel and it was for Defender, so its kind of not helping :)

Couple tubes, flexible elbows, filter on top, cup on filter to prevent it from rain & elements - seems to be straightforwardy.. :) What am i missing? Are there any legal issues in that regard?

(Durango aint got emission control, so i dont care about that one, plus i dont think it will be affected anyway :)).

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legal issues? No. Not according to the US DOT.

How/where are you going to mount it? Along the A-Pillar like the other Disco snorkels? Will you run it along the outside of the fender like the ARB snorkel or come straight up out of the fender like on D110's?

I like this set-up for a Disco:

snorkel03.jpg

But this is pretty cool, and maybe more realistic with off-the-shelf components:

snorkel04.jpg
Close-up:
snorkel02.jpg

Whatever you do, PLEASE post here -- I want cleaner cooler air in my engine too! :biggrin:

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy - DOT regulations is what i am always worry about, b/c States got pretty weird regulations on lots of stuff.

Actually i think Mantec snorkel is going straight into fender too.. but i may be wrong.
I am gonna hit stores sometime in next two days to check out what they got in regard of piping..

I am not sure about mounting either - luckily i have roof rack as extra hanging point, so if all fails thats where upper part will be fixed at.. Waterproofing of them holes on A-pillar for mounting will be another interesting puzzle to solve :)

One of funky issues is to where put it - left or right - either way it blocks some vision - thats why i didnt like idea of snorkel in first place actually.

Right now its more of drawing board stage - i need to figure what parts available and how to fight certain things - for example i can actually relocate entire air pipe and put it next to tailgate, but then i will need to help with air sucking - meaning sticking some sort of fan into pipe. Another scary bit is that exact point of where fender getting cut - have to find good way of mounting - thanks for that close up of D110 - thats pretty good idea.

And before anyone will bring up just installing scoops - i researched that idea and it apparently has very low effect on performance.

D

discomike

Sergei,
Now I have even a better understanding of you, all this time I have been looking at your picture and not understanding it, now I do.
I think there may be a pill for what ailes you, not your truck, I am just not sure what it is.
Well have fun this weekend and send us pictures. If this doesn't work for you, you might want to come out of the high altitude and visit me in Santa Barbara, the greqater anbundance of fresh air will help.
Just kidding, take care,
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike - :) I cant help it. I like to try things, to figure out how something works & etc.. Bloody genes, you see...

Driving to CA may be good idea, as i yet to cruise around it on myself. Never really been anywhere but Bay Area and L-A airport :) Only problem is that me schedule is darn tight - very hard to get days off.

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I never could locate a Snorkel for my Rover. The local 4x4 shop had lots of them for a D2 but not a D1. And they were not cheap like 299.99 or something to that tune! OUCH. I am not even going to attempt making one. Me drills, holes, aluminum, none of the aforementioned would be a good combo.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - britishpacific sells D1 safari snorkels for cheapest price i seen - 300$. But it kind of kills me b/c safari snorkel using same airbox as stock and i removed that part and not willing to put it back :) Plus its 300$. Some molded (well nicely molded, but still) plastic shall not cost that much :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM