Moab Trail Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I will be heading out to Moab in a couple weeks and wanted to see if anyone had experience/advice on some trails out there. I plan on running Seven Mile Rim, Hell's Revenge, along with a couple days on White Rim Trail. I think I'll be fine on all these. My question is, has anyone in an LR3/4 taken a shot at Poison Spider Mesa/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim? The big question for me is the golden crack. Clearly i will drag the rear bumper, just a question of how much. Anyone have any thoughts or experience? You can see the mods I've made in my sig.

Thanks,
Nathan

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndrenfro,

I ran Poison Spider Mesa in my LR3 during the 2010 National Rally, along with 2 other LR3s that were in the group. We also ran Hells Revenge with pretty much the same group. My truck was the "middle" truck in terms of modifications among the LR3s. I did not run Golden Spike or Gold Bar Rim, so I can't speak to those.

Hells Revenge is nothing to worry about, sounds worse that it is really. I don't remember anything too difficult, besides the optional Tip Over Challenge (which I was able to complete without much issue, but not many others in the group attempted). There are some fairly sketchy sections where you are driving STRAIGHT up or STRAIGHT down some steep hills. The Bath Tub and Car Wash are pretty fun.

Poison Spider is a little more challenging for sure. We had a good spotter, and everyone made it through the trail without issues. The Wedgie requires careful placement of the wheels, and there are some fairly steep ledges/drops that will need to be carefully negotiated to avoid dragging too much.

Here are a couple of pics:

DSC_0064.jpg

Me driving through the Wedgie on Poison Spider

DSC_0091.jpg

The most modified LR3 in our group negotiating one of the many ledges on Poison Spider

DSC_0174.jpg

Me coming out of the Car Wash (I think) on Hells Revenge

DSC_0121.jpg

One of the many steep fins on Hells Revenge

Hopefully this is helpful. I've run a few other trails and explored a bit in the Moab/Canyonlands area as well, so let me know if you have any questions!

Paul

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO JEALOUS! Very different than Pacific Northwest wheelin' !!! What about "Hell's Gate?" Anyone done that one in an LR3?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndrenfro How do you like your hidden winch? Just curious I have the same one installed, and quite a few of the same mods.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndrenfro, I like the way your rig is set up! I'll try to have my bolt-ons installed by Memorial Day Weekend. We're also heading out to Moab. We're definitely going to do Hell's Revenge. What day's are you going to be there? Maybe we can meet up.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul - your post was very helpful. That gives me some confidence regarding those two trails. Particularly your thoughts on the tip over challenge, bath tub, and car wash. That is good to know that LR3s have been through those. Great pics by the way!!

TLT - I just got the hidden winch installed last week so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I installed the Warn wireless remote after and tested that and all seems to work very well. I love the look and placement of the winch inside so that i don't lose significant approach angle, which will be very helpful in Moab. Also, I think having the weight further in the car rather than sticking out the front will be easier on the suspension and better for overall weight management.

Thanks guys. Any more thoughts/comments on these trails??

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndrenfro, I like the way your rig is set up! I'll try to have my bolt-ons installed by Memorial Day Weekend. We're also heading out to Moab. We're definitely going to do Hell's Revenge. What day's are you going to be there? Maybe we can meet up.

Im gonna be on the trails May 22-25. Im going with a friend here from NC in a AEV Rubicon and maybe meet another guy out there in an AEV. Would be nice to have another Rover join us. Shoot me a PM if you're gonna be out there during those dates.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, We'll be showing up just as you're rolling out that Friday the 25th. We're going to be there until Sunday. We're planning on making it out there again in October for the LRNR.

From the videos I've watched on YouTube, stock LR3 vs. J/K or Wrangler it's LR3 hands down. The weight and traction really makes a difference on the slick rock.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, We'll be showing up just as you're rolling out that Friday the 25th. We're going to be there until Sunday. We're planning on making it out there again in October for the LRNR.

From the videos I've watched on YouTube, stock LR3 vs. J/K or Wrangler it's LR3 hands down. The weight and traction really makes a difference on the slick rock.

I'll be heading out of town Saturday morning so we are gonna do some trails on Friday. Not exactly sure of the schedule yet, but if you're gonna be ready to hit trails on Friday let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM