Need advice on LR4 20 inch wheel tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brizzity

Reaction score
Anyone have insight on Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/55R20, whether they fit without rods or any mods? They have a diameter of 31.93. I've seen that under 31.5 is supposedly magic number on here.

I've seen KO2's in that size put on with or without a slight mod to one of the front wheel wells.
Looks like those are 31.9 as well. One person says slight mod, one person says rubs like hell so they seem like a roll of the dice. Love the tire though.

The Zeon LTZ in 285/50R20 is 31.3, anyone do those?

I currently have Goodyear Wrangler AT w/Kevlar 265/50R20 and like most in this discussion, am looking to max out with a rugged tire.

DMROVER

Reaction score
Good - yet somewhat confusing thread - At the end of the day I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler 285 50/20. I have had great experiences with these tires on my Tahoe in the past. Minor rubbing at full turn. Otherwise they are awesome. This picture is at standard suspension height.

IMG_5073.jpeg

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like off road height adjustment? What happens if you drop to access height? How is the extra width during regular driving? Does it still track OK?

DMROVER

Reaction score
That looks like off road height adjustment? What happens if you drop to access height? How is the extra width during regular driving? Does it still track OK?

Standard height in that picture. I almost never drop it to access height unless I'm entering a low hanging parking garage - which I have done twice now with these tires, no issues.

Reaction score
Standard height in that picture. I almost never drop it to access height unless I'm entering a low hanging parking garage - which I have done twice now with these tires, no issues.

Love your dark gray on the LR4!
I just got a set of RRS 20” wheels that are 47mm offset to replace my 19”. I believe your rims are 47mm also, do the 285 tires stick out the wheel wells with the new offset? Normally the LR4 had 53mm.
And do you have a lift? From the picture it seems pretty high in standard height setting. Debating on which tire to go with as I do most highway miles and don’t want road noise and I have a dedicated snow tire for the winter. Are the grappler noisy?

Grip it Rip it

Reaction score
I have read 100s upon 100s of threads about 20” aggressive looking, functional off road tires for LR4. Was going to do the Nitto G2’s but didn’t think they were aggressive enough or what I really wanted for real off road, not just dirt trails. I also didn’t want to make any modifications to my 2016 LR4 with Johnson rods or anything else. The Nitto Ridge Grappler is the answer. 265/50/20. No mods. NO Rubbing. I repeat, 100% NO Rubbing. They look so awesome and tough and the sidewall lugs are incredibly pronounced and protective. They also give a little bit of that extra side bulge look. Here’s a quick photo. I will upload more later. I could not be happier. Taking it into the sequoias for a week starting this Saturday. Will send some off-road pics too

52D0DA6E-EFEB-4131-A00F-B0AC68BC9D15.jpeg

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read 100s upon 100s of threads about 20” aggressive looking, functional off road tires for LR4. Was going to do the Nitto G2’s but didn’t think they were aggressive enough or what I really wanted for real off road, not just dirt trails. I also didn’t want to make any modifications to my 2016 LR4 with Johnson rods or anything else. The Nitto Ridge Grappler is the answer. 265/50/20. No mods. NO Rubbing. I repeat, 100% NO Rubbing. They look so awesome and tough and the sidewall lugs are incredibly pronounced and protective. They also give a little bit of that extra side bulge look. Here’s a quick photo. I will upload more later. I could not be happier. Taking it into the sequoias for a week starting this Saturday. Will send some off-road pics too

View attachment 11302
They look great and I considered them (the 18s) but they were still passenger car tires (XL, not LT rated) so I'll be curious to know if they work for "real off-road" (in other words if they survive anything too gnarly or get ripped along rocks that can tear the sidewall.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nitto Ridge Grappler is the answer. 265/50/20.

but they were still passenger car tires (XL, not LT rated) so I'll be curious to know if they work for "real off-road" (in other words if they survive anything too gnarly or get ripped along rocks that can tear the sidewall.)

I tend to agree with Troy. The test of a tyre is on a wicked mountain bend when you're riding on three wheels only while fully loaded. Or in deep sand when you have to deflate. How much can you deflate those 20"s? But not a problem of course if you only do moderate off-roading.

Grip it Rip it

Reaction score
I agree with that all, BUT, this is in regards to 20" wheels and for anyone NOT wanting to add Johnson Rods or other modifications. These tires fit a 20" wheel with NO rubbing or mods needed. They are by far much more aggressive looking and functional than the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have a deeper tread and stronger sidewall. Just got back from Inyo National Forest. The truck was flawless in sand and off road terrain. No tears, no ripping the tread or sidewalls. At times, only 3 wheels on the ground and tires were furiously amazing! Fully loaded with 4 people and camping gear inside and on roof.
9511A30C-92A8-4E11-978E-96D719BC5C75.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV