New trailer hitch concept/idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am moving forward with this concept.

If you take off the plastic cap on the bumper and look carefully at the recovery point, it is simply a welded flange onto the bumper. My plan - remove the flange and weld in a receiver hitch that will be used for towing as well as a recovery point when going off-road. The idea started to formulate after I looked at the bumper and saw this:

100_0485.jpg

Info: Made by Hi-Country Offroad
Site Location: http://store.hicountryoffroad.com/Receiver-Recovery-Hitch_p_59.html#

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just throw a shackle/hook in the hitch receiver, if departure angles aren't needed.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just throw a shackle/hook in the hitch receiver, if departure angles aren't needed.

No. I don't like LR's execution of their hitch. The angles of the load stress just seem wrong to me. In addition, the departure angles are merely a part of why I am venturing in this direction.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is understandable...here departure angles really don't matter.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concept is moving into reality. My fabricator (see welding God), is going to remove LR's idea of a trailer hitch / recovery hook and custom weld in one of these:

330682_lg.jpg

The concept is simple really. Upon looking at how LR's approach was, my fabricator agreed. The angles just seem wrong. He said it should be complete next week. I'll post up photos when it's done an painted.

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like too much of a pain in the ass. The stock set up is solid and strong

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like too much of a pain in the ass. The stock set up is solid and strong

Nah... he owes me. Besides, the cost to have this built is virtually the same for me to go buy one of LR's receivers. Here's the best part.

I retain my ground clearance and departure angles and have a hitch all at the same time. WOOT! :biggrin:

Do honestly try and think out of the box, eh?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retain my ground clearance and departure angles and have a hitch all at the same time. WOOT! :biggrin:
Out of curiosity, why would you be wheeling and pulling something on the hitch at the same time? This is the scenario you are describing, correct?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why would you be wheeling and pulling something on the hitch at the same time? This is the scenario you are describing, correct?

My question too. Wouldn't it be just as good with throwing a D ring on the rear recovery point?

Eh, I'll let him do what he wants. Not my Rover (looks pretty much identical to mine though):cool: