No, I don't need gas!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but who in their right mind lets the tank get that empty if you can avoid it.

I do. :-( I get $1/gal discount once a month - Just paid $1.01/gal for premium this week. If I run it down to near the bottom, I can fill up my LR3 just once a month. I have definitely saved on fuel enough to pay for any possible fuel pump problem (knock wood).

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...isn't it bad for the cats to run it out of fuel?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running out of fuel isn't inherently bad for the cats, but if you actually run the tank low enough that you start to get misfires, then yes... incomplete combustion (over time - not a few here are there) is bad for cats and for O2 sensors.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran down to '5 miles' to empty and still could only fit 18.9 gallons in last night. So, why on Earth does the warning come on when I still have 100-150 miles left?

Your math isn't working correctly.... ;)

You think that with '5" left on the dash you still have 100-150 miles available? Maybe you meant from first amber but still, I doubt 100-150 from then.

Um, no way. Even at 20 mpg, you'd have to have 4 gallons to go just 80, almost 8 to go 150. It's not quite a 23g tank, barely if you take the time to top off the filler neck each time it settles....yes, I've done that on long trips ;)

I do think you should bring along a jerry can and run it out taking notes starting at first amber warning, then 30, 10, 0 .... We would all love to hear the results with details.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a math error, but a fact error. I don't know why I had 24.2 gallon tank in my head. Anyway, 111 miles from the amber light (50, not 5) given 22.8 tank and 20mpg on the hwy.
That's a long time to look at that ginormous bright orange gas tank light that looks like it was a stolen icon from an atari video game.

Whatever. Not much I can do about it I guess. Everything else is great, have to complain about something!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that light different on lr4 from lr3? I hate a few of the dash lamps because they're too bright so I just put some little squares of blue painters tape over the sight line ;)

Wish we did have 24.2 g tanks!

For distance to empty maybe they were making up for how short you have left on the disco 2. It's only a few gallons and they get just 15-16 if you're careful so there are plenty of places in the US where you'd better not ever see the amber or you're screwed.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's completely different, tacky as hell. It's literally a big orange gas tank icon. Higher on the display and like I said, looks like a huge graphic from a 30 year old video game. Not sure what was wrong with a small yellow light....
I'd just prefer it if they didn't have to nanny the idiots who didn't understand that zero miles to empty was just that. The warning definitely doesn't come on as early on the 3, at least in my case.

schwaggy

Reaction score
The low gas indicator lamp on my 2009 is a small orange LED. When did they change from an icon to simple LED?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an LR4. I said in first post I'm not bright enough to put it in the right forum, but it's kept going here.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72