No idea what happened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced them with what? Is there a recommended brand?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

They are a crappy part from Ford that still lives in the engine. There is a big FoMoCo stamp on the parts.

I do not know of any aluminum or other replacement part from any other manufacturer. I went with new plastic crappy ones from FoMoCo (via LR). Allegedly some of the RRs have similar crossover pipes in aluminum (but they don't fit the LR4).

If anybody knows of a better third-party replacement, I'm all ears (although hopefully I will not need to deal with mine for a long time now.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and there was a thread here about trying to make one, but IIRC, it went no where because of tooling cost.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Bad weather here in Colorado, haven't taken it to the shop yet

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid land rover. I developed a crack in the coolant recovery bottle. SURPRISE!!! the heat sensor is in the bottle, the coolant leaked out and with no liquid in it, the heat gauge didn't work. $4,000 later, I had the heads replaced. Really bad design. Check your coolant bottle for cracks.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid land rover. I developed a crack in the coolant recovery bottle. SURPRISE!!! the heat sensor is in the bottle, the coolant leaked out and with no liquid in it, the heat gauge didn't work. $4,000 later, I had the heads replaced. Really bad design. Check your coolant bottle for cracks.

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Going to have mine looked at in the next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Going to have mine looked at in the next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mechanic told me that replacing the crossover pipes just add a precaution "is a big expensive job for something that might be in great shape."

He thinks I shouldn't do it.
That's a separate topic, but I bring it up here because since I don't know a ton about mechanics, is having the coolant bottle checked also something that he would say that about?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anecdotally, crossovers fail regularly. It's preventative, but the potential for it to happen is high, and the stakes of a failure are high too. Coolant bottle i have not heard nearly as much about. Seems like more of an anomaly than a regular failure point to me.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that the coolant temperature sensor for the engine would be located in the plastic reservoir. First thing I'd do is confirm this claim; there may be some useful info in the factory service manual. Normally, the engine/coolant temperature sensor would be attached directly to the engine.

The coolant LEVEL sensor (if there is one?) may be located in the plastic reservoir, but those are 2 different animals.

o_O

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72