No idea what happened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty well documented on YouTube, as well. If you did it yourself, I would be conservative and say plan on 10 hours your first time.

That first time through is when you learn the little things that make it much quicker the second time around.

I get the it's your only vehicle part, though. It totally sucks to have your car disassembled in the garage at midnight on a Sunday knowing that thing has to be running by morning to get you to work. BTDT.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty well documented on YouTube, as well. If you did it yourself, I would be conservative and say plan on 10 hours your first time.

That first time through is when you learn the little things that make it much quicker the second time around.

I get the it's your only vehicle part, though. It totally sucks to have your car disassembled in the garage at midnight on a Sunday knowing that thing has to be running by morning to get you to work. BTDT.

Of course, we're all assuming it's the crossover pipes but maybe it isn't. I'd still take the thing to a trusted mechanic and have it properly diagnosed but that's just me. I'm not set up to tear down my vehicles as I have neither the space, the tools, the time, or the interest. I'd rather have people work on it who do nothing but fix them all day long because they see patterns from regular exposure that I would never see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, we're all assuming it's the crossover pipes but maybe it isn't. I'd still take the thing to a trusted mechanic and have it properly diagnosed but that's just me. I'm not set up to tear down my vehicles as I have neither the space, the tools, the time, or the interest. I'd rather have people work on it who do nothing but fix them all day long because they see patterns from regular exposure that I would never see.

Fair point, but I would still bet a box of donuts that it is one of the crossover pipes, the waterpump or that little pipe that goes behind the waterpump.

It really doesn't matter which of those it is, because you once you break it down enough to change any of them, you would be foolish not to replace them all at the same time.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair point, but I would still bet a box of donuts that it is one of the crossover pipes, the waterpump or that little pipe that goes behind the waterpump.

It really doesn't matter which of those it is, because you once you break it down enough to change any of them, you would be foolish not to replace them all at the same time.

100% agree. If it wasn't the actual problem this week, then just wait a week and it WILL be the problem. :)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the infamous slow water pump leak that was crystallizing around the bottom of the pump before it dripped and made a noticeable puddle. Only found by a sharp-eyed tech. I had the full monty pump, front and rear pipe service done per conventional wisdom noted above by @avslash. My total was around $800 (indy shop) and was a 1-day turnaround, FWIW (DC metro area).

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the party, pal.

Hope you got it shut down in time.

The crossover pipes are a POS.
Is there as good way to prevent this from ever happening to me? Better after market crossover pipes or something?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do NOT drive it anywhere. Get it flat bed towed to the mechanic and assess the coolant crossover pipes and water pump. I think the guys above are likely right.

I literally replaced mine today for $1400 PRE-EMPTIVELY because they are a known weakness in this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Replaced them with what? Is there a recommended brand?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72