Non OEM oil options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stl8grey

Reaction score
I have been using Mystik in a Caterpillar engine for over 10 yrs. I had never heard of the other 2 brands until I inquired about the 5w20 synthetic in Mystik. There is a synthetic blend readily available in Mystik though. I did read ENI is used in the Lambos and Ferraris. Perhaps I am over thinking the situation. I just like to stay with a certain oil throughout ownership of the vehicle. In this case, we intend to keep this LR4 until its wheels fall off. Many thanks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use conventional oil while under warranty, but do you really think there would ever be a problem with conventional - provided it was changed more often than synthetic?

I just did my first oil change with Mobil 1. Thanks again for your video on YT. Although it was easy as pie with the mityvac I bought, always good to have verification that I wasn't missing something. It didn't take more than 10 minutes. Awesome. The only thing I wish is that there was a way to pre load the oil cartridge with oil.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not roverman, but considering how sensitive these direct injection engines are to developing carbon buildup around the intake valves already, the least potential for additional unwanted impurities left behind by dyno oil, the better.

Pb1036

Reaction score
I use Pennzoil ultra platinum with pure plus technology 5w20. The base oil is made from natural gas vs crude oil so it's almost clear (Cleaner). Shell says its 25% cleaner than Mobil 1. Must be true if it's on their website

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here i also use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. I can't tell any difference however after changing from Mobil 1 to the Pennzoil. Gas mileage and engine performance is practically the same.

armozo

Reaction score
Same here i also use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. I can't tell any difference however after changing from Mobil 1 to the Pennzoil. Gas mileage and engine performance is practically the same.

I don’t mean to resurrect an old thread here but I wanted to share with you an update. I just got off the phone with the Pennzoil customer service. According to him Land Rover had approved their data of the oil analysis for use on spec 925-A, which the 5.0 L calls for. The guy said that the document has an expiration date of 2015 which explains why the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum does not list the specification currently. You told me also that he will get a hold of the engineers and if there was more information to provide me he was going to let me know. I’ll update you all here too. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM