Oil leak on my 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My independent service guy thinks it's just thin oil that is causing it to drop as it's time for a change anyways. Going to go ahead and flush and change the oil to see if this remedies it. Anybody else have this issue, hadn't heard much at all about oil leaks on these.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a single drop under my '11, FWIW. I do the DIY changes every 7500 miles w/Mobil 1 and Mahle filters.

Re the 10 quarts your indy put in, I have found that the computer sensor doesn't always give instant results. I've had to wait a few min between checks before it showed that I had the right amount. I've never had to use more than 8 qts to achieve this.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah she didn't like that much oil it seems. I'm getting restricted performance and exhaust valve, crankshaft and camshaft position faults and it's running horribly. Gonna take out like 1.5 quarts and clear the faults and hopefully all good.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They put in 10 quarts?! Yikes. I've never had to use more than 7.5-8 quarts myself.

Yeah, get oil level down ASAP. I hope all is well afterwards, but overfilling engines is never good.

I always start by adding no more than I took out, or 1 quart less than I am supposed to. I do a quick check and make sure I am at the low end. Then I check frequently and top to the middle of the range. ALWAYS better a bit low than too high on oil.

Example: Just did my wife's Mini. It holds 4.75 quarts or so (can't remember exactly now). Despite checking recently and oil level being ok but a bit low, I later found somehow I only got 3 quarts out (???). I added 4 quarts only. I checked the oil and the level was smack in the middle of the mark.

Had I blindly added even 4.5 quarts I would have overfilled it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo