Oil Level Indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I what is the measurement of oil needed between Min and Max? I’m at the halfway mark and was going to top it off....

4a81593698debbc992c170e25d5e4c2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
This is part of the guessing game. From here I would put a full quart and then I would put half quarts until it's full. Overfilling it is bad too.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: See below, this video is probably wrong.

This video suggests if its exactly at the middle, its 2 quarts below max. I'd be careful and throw in one quart and see how the display changes.

Last edited:

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Land Rover.

“The approximate quantity of oil required to raise the level from MIN to MAX is 1.5 litres.”

After trawling the workshop manual I had a look at the owners manual and there it was. :)

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, OP should be adding 0.5 L at a time since the gauge already is at half.
My car consumes a small amount of oil. I throw in half a quart when I'm in this situation and it's all good.

portlandlife

Reaction score
Mid-level is perfect. You just need to check often if you are burning any oil so that you can add some. Anywhere between min-max and your engine is fine with middle being ideal.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid-level is perfect. You just need to check often if you are burning any oil so that you can add some. Anywhere between min-max and your engine is fine with middle being ideal.

Do you really mean that mid-level is “ideal” or that it is adequate? I have never heard this before.

portlandlife

Reaction score
I believe it is ideal for oil pressure. I have read this before and have also spoken to others in the car industry. The min tells you that you are going to drop below safe levels and the max tells you that you have too much oil. It is at mid-level where engine oil pressure is ideal. From min to max is 1 to 1.5 liters depending on the car so while there is an effect on pressure and consistent pressure levels. Now if you're burning oil, you probably want to add to the max to avoid having to top off too often and the potential of dropping below the minimum. Usually when I change the oil on my Rover the digital dipstick reflects "max" which I'm fine with. It doesn't really burn much oil but on my last oil change which I did at about 4,500 miles, the dipstick was at mid-level reflecting some loss. My e39 and e46 BMW's I maintain at mid-level which I feel is easier to do with an actual dipstick and where I feel the engine feels right. In the end, as long as you are between the min and max, you are safe. Checking oil levels often is easy and worth it.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the oil level should have anything to do with oil pressure unless it is low enough that the pump is starting to suck air instead of oil.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA