Only 5 quarts of oil drained second oil change in a row (also… drain plug?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 other vehicles that I maintain as well, the Sentra I have to use ramps for, and my Silverado (like the lr4) I can just slide right under. Even taking skid plates off I can do it in about 20 min. I also have fumoto valves on everything (even lawn mower) to save time and mess; I highly recommend these.

I don’t have the space for a tool like the mityvac that would have very little uses elsewhere; plus I don’t have an air compressor (again, space). I’m certainly not telling y’all that it’s wrong, just not for everyone. If there truly was no plug, I’d have to have one too.

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
8 or so bolts zip right off with an impact driver and oil drains in about the time to change the filter. Put the bling and skid plate back and re fill. Like 20 min. I may slide a jack under the plate to let her down and lift back up. I don't think all the oil drains, as with the pump. I overfilled mine once putting in the recommended amount..so now I pour a half quart shy. I don't burn any.. 127,000 5.0 LR4 with OG guides.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the LR4 in fact have a low oil message? im seeing conflicting messages here on the forum? how much oil burn is acceptable? 1 qt every 2k miles?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that excessive. I’m at 160k kms.
Mine was dropping 1.5l in 5000 km however, following the PCV replacement I am down to .25l / 5000 km.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go into the system menu, at a certain point it will tell you to add X quarts of oil. I don't know if it will ever tell you without you going into that menu.

I check my oil level all the time. Free insurance.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine had a new sound so I check the oil and it was a full quart down. Just the bottom notch was illuminated in the gauge cluster and the whole bar wasn't lit at all.

I started driving Las Vegas Blvd and all the streets around in 2nd gear Sport mode and I think doing that sucked down a full quart over a weekend. A bit disappointing tbh because the LR4 brakes really depend on downshifting and before the shift happens braking seems pretty weak. If I hold gear then I don't need to brake so much and its a better way to drive all around. That way I can nail it and pull away from everyone and let engine compression slow the vehicle up to the light. I'm curious where all the engine oil is going? It isn't on the back of the vehicle like what would happen if there is a leak from a valve stem seal.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine had a new sound so I check the oil and it was a full quart down. Just the bottom notch was illuminated in the gauge cluster and the whole bar wasn't lit at all.

I started driving Las Vegas Blvd and all the streets around in 2nd gear Sport mode and I think doing that sucked down a full quart over a weekend. A bit disappointing tbh because the LR4 brakes really depend on downshifting and before the shift happens braking seems pretty weak. If I hold gear then I don't need to brake so much and its a better way to drive all around. That way I can nail it and pull away from everyone and let engine compression slow the vehicle up to the light. I'm curious where all the engine oil is going? It isn't on the back of the vehicle like what would happen if there is a leak from a valve stem seal.
hopefully not into the intake, like my car.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have oil leaking out when I pulled the intake manifold. What was the resolution in your case?
Vacuum pump replacement and this:

Attachments

• IMG_9004.jpeg
    IMG_9004.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads