Paddle shifters not working unless in manual mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMCuyler

Reaction score
I'm working on installing flappy paddles on my L320 RR Sport Lux. I ordered them from PowerFullUK (delivery to the US in just 4 days DHL). Should be interesting. As the above video shows for the LR4 - after installing the paddles, you apparently have to use the IID Tool to do a transmission ECU reset - which is convenient because I just had the fluid service done (non dealer), but then they have to be enabled in the ECU by flashing with a new car config file. I should have this completed in a few days. Hopefully I wont brick the car completely.

CHRIS APALLAS

Reaction score
I'm working on installing flappy paddles on my L320 RR Sport Lux. I ordered them from PowerFullUK (delivery to the US in just 4 days DHL). Should be interesting. As the above video shows for the LR4 - after installing the paddles, you apparently have to use the IID Tool to do a transmission ECU reset - which is convenient because I just had the fluid service done (non dealer), but then they have to be enabled in the ECU by flashing with a new car config file. I should have this completed in a few days. Hopefully I wont brick the car completely.
We're a bit off topic now, but just another data point for you as I did a ton of research when adding paddles to my 322.
Literally the only thing I needed to do was "enable paddles" with the Gap tool. Nothing about a TCU reset and they worked flawlessly while under my ownership.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be totally on-topic if there is a similar process for enabling my 2016 LR4. ;-)

Ian Marshall

Reaction score
Hi from Down Under

I have a 2015 3ltr V6 Diesel with the 8 speed gearbox, if I hit the paddles it will shift to "Command Shift Mode" which appears in the
message area. You can then drive it as a manual with the gears being shown as D2, D2, D3 etc.

If you don't make any more gear changes it will return to Automatic mode or
you can hold the right paddle for 2 seconds and it will return to Auto.

I noticed it the owners manual that it notes that this feature is not operational in all markets.

So it looks like we have it down here in Australia as standard but it may depend on witch gearbox is in the car.

regards Ian

Josh Johnson

Reaction score
Yet another noob question: From what I can tell from the manual, the paddle shifters should be available to work even in Drive (D) mode. But they don't do anything on my LR4 unless I've moved the knob to the Standard (S) mode.

Is there a trick?

Not sure if it’s the same as I’ve never had a LR4 but in my LR5 in the instrument menu under settings you can set the paddles to work only in S or in D and S

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s the same as I’ve never had a LR4 but in my LR5 in the instrument menu under settings you can set the paddles to work only in S or in D and S

If it's there, it's well-hidden on my menus.

JMCuyler

Reaction score
We're a bit off topic now, but just another data point for you as I did a ton of research when adding paddles to my 322.
Literally the only thing I needed to do was "enable paddles" with the Gap tool. Nothing about a TCU reset and they worked flawlessly while under my ownership.
Just got my Gap tool and was able to simply enable the paddles. No special configs, just a simple change to the existing configuration. Thanks for saving me some unnecessary and potentially dangerous work!

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my Gap tool and was able to simply enable the paddles. No special configs, just a simple change to the existing configuration. Thanks for saving me some unnecessary and potentially dangerous work!

Really? I couldn't find a place to do it in my GAP menus.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah interesting. You're correct. When checking the functionality chart on GAP's website, you see they have the paddle option only for the 6-speed. But, I've heard GAP has excellent customer service. Maybe reach out?

Edit- Weird first post. Sorry. I'm waiting for my truck to arrive in once piece to introduce myself! :)

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a wheel from an RRS with flappy paddles and am excited to install it and be able to paddle shift in the LR4. I hope I don't have to do anything else with the GAP tool except enable the paddles in the ccf file. Anything else to keep in mind when configuring it? This is a 2013 V8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM