Paddle shifters not working unless in manual mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know. The first wheel I ordered off ebay didn't work, from a 2016 LR4. All those ebay wheels are salvaged from rigs and so the wheel I got may have had other issues. Anyways, here's my best tip, it will take you a loooooong time to figure out where in the slot to release the airbag. I found that by keeping my tool horizontal, sliding all the way into the catch, and then rotating my hook down, then back behind the catch, then back up, worked best. This is opposed to rotating your hook "up".

Also, because of how tricky it is to grab the airbag, DO NOT CLIP IN the replacement until you are certain everything works. You can bolt the wheel back on, have everything plugged back in, just don't seat the airbag into the spring catches before testing.

Good luck! I've got a shiny pair of red flappy paddles just waiting for me to buy another wheel and try again!
E369308C-B38B-43CA-B217-7C5E4A313226.jpeg

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, makes sense. This airbag removal procedure does look tricky. As far as plugs, does the signal from the paddles travel through existing plugs? or is there a new one that I need to connect?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, as I understand this process using a wheel equipped with the paddles and therefore an existing harness, we are just reconnecting to the main flat plug on the truck side. I looked at ordering the Powerful UK kit with the new wheel cover and paddles, but opted for a replacement wheel so as to avoid totally tearing down mine. Watch their vid again on how they address wiring.

The faulty wheel I received lit up my dash with "Cruise Control Inactive", the heated wheel function wasn't working, and after activating the paddles in IID, the paddles didn't do anything. So I was convinced it was a bad wheel and the seller gave me a refund.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a wheel from an RRS with flappy paddles and am excited to install it and be able to paddle shift in the LR4. I hope I don't have to do anything else with the GAP tool except enable the paddles in the ccf file. Anything else to keep in mind when configuring it? This is a 2013 V8.
Get it done?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, haven't had time to mess with it yet. Still need that stupid airbag removal tool too. Gonna try in the next week or so.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, haven't had time to mess with it yet. Still need that stupid airbag removal tool too. Gonna try in the next week or so.
I used the right angle pick from this set, filed it down a little after practicing on the new wheel:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99