pizza cutters...General Grabber ATx

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plainolejeff

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking to get "pizza cutter" tires for the 2015 LR4. Has anyone had experience with the General Grabber ATx 255/70/18. If not, any other "skinny" tires you have used and recommend. Thank you.

Jeff

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a guy in Europe running 255/70-18 BFG ATs. That’s the size I plan on upgrading to end of the year, same height as 275/65-18 which many run successfully

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). I like you guys think this way. All the military vehicles I’ve driven in areas you would have thought impassable…. on thin tires!
And I would choose the Generals or Nittos too. But unlike many, not LT rated; reason being there are times when you may need to significantly deflate the tires. LTs sidewalls are too stiff for me.

plainolejeff

Reaction score
:). I like you guys think this way. All the military vehicles I’ve driven in areas you would have thought impassable…. on thin tires!
And I would choose the Generals or Nittos too. But unlike many, not LT rated; reason being there are times when you may need to significantly deflate the tires. LTs sidewalls are too stiff for me.
Hey Itsaguything,

Yeah the choices were limited in the "skinny" tire field. However, now I am gonna look into the sidewall stiffness since you brought it up. Thanks.

Jeff

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the sidewalls much as long as you get XL rated tires so you can safely carry the truck up to max GVWR. I regularly air my 255/60-19 Toyos to 15 psi and even drive 15-20 minutes at 45-50mph at that pressure with no issues.

I would never ever under any circumstance run a SL rated tire on these trucks.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My understanding has always been that the reason you get LT tires is so that the stronger sidewalls allows you to run them deflated safer longer... But I agree -- LT tires property inflated for road use don't do much for ride quality.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ride quality immensely improved over stock when I moved to 18" wheels with 265/65/18 e-rated tires. More rubber trumps the stiffer sidewall.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is limited and imperfect but, from what I have read, the general consensus seems to be the wider the tire, the more traction you get due to surface contact. The result is you get people talking about wheel spacers and such to accommodate wider tires, at least that's my take away.

Now my sense from reading this thread is that narrow tires may offer their own set of advantages. That's interesting to hear because the fender flares over the wheel wells seem like they could accommodate a wider tire, but maybe that would be unnecessary or counter-productive.

plainolejeff

Reaction score
My understanding is limited and imperfect but, from what I have read, the general consensus seems to be the wider the tire, the more traction you get due to surface contact. The result is you get people talking about wheel spacers and such to accommodate wider tires, at least that's my take away.

Now my sense from reading this thread is that narrow tires may offer their own set of advantages. That's interesting to hear because the fender flares over the wheel wells seem like they could accommodate a wider tire, but maybe that would be unnecessary or counter-productive.
Hi BigBriDogGuy,

Interesting video on the subject that I watched:

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72