Really really slow at first???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King_Richard

Reaction score
My 126,000 2000 disco has been nothin but problems since i've gotten it but i bought it knowing that. so far i've put in a new rad, put in a new water pump, thermostat, hoses, changed the battery, cleaned lots of stuff (wires etc.), got a new starter put in, cleaned the intake, got a tire fixed. now i think i'm down to my last major problem (i hope). when i start it up at first after it's been sitting for an hour or more it take me a good 2-4 mins for it to actually run normally. what i mena by that is i'll press down the gas and my rpms will actually go down and my car will slow then i'll take my foot off any it accelorates (i mean not much just a little and it doenst go fast not moe that 10 miles an hour). it's the strangest thing. it goes that way for a while and when i press my foot on hte gas i can hear stuff trying to work under the hood weird noise hard to describe. then after it gets warmed up it like pops into gear or something runs normal (with the exception that it has unusually lower power and high rpms). anyone have an answer? or idea?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is the fuel pump needs changed.

King_Richard

Reaction score
do you think it could be because the head gaskets might be cracked? thats what ym mechanic and dad think? but i still ahve no clue really. it makes that poping kind of noise comming from the hood when it happens and isnt the fuel pump in the back of the car?

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the fuel filter by any chance?

King_Richard

Reaction score
no we havent actually funny u bring that up. my dad bught me a fuel filter a while ago when we bought the car. it turns out it was the wrong kind. so you think we should change it?

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always go with the simple, cheap stuff first.
To make the engine run you need 3 things....fuel, air, and spark (small explosion)
If an engine bogs when you step on the gas, the first thing to check is the lack of fuel.

Change the filter. If that doesn't help, ask the mechanic to check the fuel pressure at the rail.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure you going to change a fuel filter on a D2... the only filter is on the end of the fuel pump in the tank.

Popping when it is running, you didn't mention that at first... that sounds like a Cam that is worn out.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am saying that is what it sounds like... Never hurts to have it checked. Cam, Timing chain and gears should all be changed together if they are worn out....

King_Richard

Reaction score
how do u check? is it something i can do or should i bring it to a mechanic. is it does need to be replaced how much would it cost. i think that makes sense because thats about where i hear the poping noise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4