Rear Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CompassRT

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using a rear winch with the stock LR4 rear hitch receiver? I haven't been able to find much info on this topic. Any notable concerns? A second battery seems to be a must.

The tow weight limit is greater than the vehicle, so the receiver should be able to pull the LR4 backward in an emergency situation without issue— or am I missing something?

After getting stuck in the snow over Thanksgiving weekend, getting a winch has moved up on my priority list. I don't plan on replacing any bumpers on my 2011 LR4, so the rear hitch mount seems like the way to go, especially since a rear winch is what would have helped me get myself out of my most recent predicament.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help with any certainty about the hitch question but I'd be a little leery of it. I'd much rather hook a portable winch up to the giant tow hook back there. Have you considered sand ladders? Would they have helped you in your predicament? They work going forward and reverse ;)

CompassRT

Reaction score
Initially, yes, but by the time I slid into a ditch I don't think sand ladders would have helped. May not have slid down in the first place, though!

The tow hook makes sense, and then if it was removable you could potentially swap it back to front when needed. I haven't thought about that. No idea how to properly hook up a winch mount to that, though. More to Google!

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201211-135638.png

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a come along? That will teach you not to get stuck lol.

macbright

Reaction score

defiant

Reaction score
Could you give us a location of the source for this setup - I myself would like to do this to my LR3

sure.
I got the Terrafirma winch mount from Lk8 in NY. (Hope your experience is better than mine was). I’m pretty sure Terrafirma 4x4 have other stockists though.
The winch I found at 4wheelparts.
My battery isolation was from Amazon. There’s lots available, pick whichever suits your needs.
I’d recommend a small tool like a dremmell for the bumper cutting. Get lots of blades for it to, because it took a lot of cutting to get the backing trimmed to a good fit, although the hole in the bumper itself was quick and easy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA