Request for unbiased advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abdoul

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying an SUV for my father who uses it in his farm and he will be using it heavily including on desert sand. I am undecided between

2003 Range Rover
2006+ LR3 v8
2006+ Toyota Sequoia 4x4

This will be in Dakar Senegal. My choice of course! is the Rangie but I am petrified with the to-be-expected problems related to air suspension etc.. and that can be pretty pricey.. in th US let alone in .. .Senegal. With that in mind... do you think it's insane to pass off the Rangie and get the Sequoia? :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I would choose any on your list for desert use, but that is my opinion. The RR can and probably will have issues either now or later, the LR3 has had a few issues, just read the LR3 portion of the site, but I am sure you will find the same issues for the toyota... Any thing that big is not going to be the best in Sand anyways. I think I would choose something a little smaller, but that is my opinion.

H

highlander

Hi Abdoul,

Looking at your list and the fact that the vehicle is going to Senegal I would probably go for the Toyota, even though I am an RR fan and would recommend people to go the RR or LR route.

The RR and LR are both good in the desert though. They are very popular here in Dubai and you can find them ploughing through the desert every weekend. You can see my '99 RR in the photo gallery after I got it dug in on a sand dune!

Reliability has not been a major issue for me. As long as you keep the fluid levels where they should be and keep all the filters clean, regular oil changes (I do mine every 5000kms) and powerwash the engine bay and underside regularly.

I would imagine that spares and repairs for the Toyota may be easier to get, however....... if there is a good LR dealer in Dakar, then that would change everything for me!

abdoul

Reaction score
This has been a very tough decision so far. I might opt for the Toyota after all.. although I agree that the RR is in a higher league.. on all fronts. I'll keep my 93 RR as a consolation! :) and it might come handy in case the Sequoia get stuck! ;)

Bille

Reaction score
Abdoul, it has been my experience that there is no better 4x4 than a Rangie ..... BUT.... there is no better vehicle to breakdown in than a Toyota, Rangies are a problem if they go wrong, even if you live in a city which have a lot of dealers or third party repairers.

Look at the logistics before you make a decision but it has been my experience that there is almost always more support for Toyotas, though I have no Idea what a Toyota Sequoia is .... Rangies are for enthusiasts, masochists and those who just love them .... But this for your dad!!!

pascaltissot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly..

I love Range Rovers, but honestly, I do not agree on using them for what you need it, I would prefer a Toyota or a Nissan, both are easier to fix and cheaper on parts .I know your country very well, and believe me, do not make that mistake .Now if your father is going to use it in the city and rarely in sand etc…then go for a new discovery it will be a lot more fun than a Range Rover .
Saludos cordiales, Pascal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo