Running boards / side steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brep

Reaction score
Installed OEM Running Boards, F/R Mudlfaps and Rubber Mats

I ordered running boards, mud flaps and rubber mat set for my new 2011 LR4 through BPUtah. Installed them today, took about 3 hours, partly due to me not being a mechanic, crazy Land Rover instructions with pictures only, no words -- and of course British engineering. For the most part, it was pretty easy, just bolted on once I figured everything out. Some cutting of the lower trim was required to fit trim back over the installed mounting brackets, but I used a Dremel to cut the trim and it worked out fine. Once installed, can't see the cuts anyway unless you are under the car. Running boards look great and are very sturdy. Is something anyone could do if you have the time and patience. Also installed front and rear mudflaps which took about an hour and a half. Front was easy, just screwed right on although it helps if you have a right angle phillips screwdriver and adjust the vehicle height. Back flaps required a mounting bracket (again instructions were less than clear), but once I figured it out it was very easy. Rubber mats were easy, fronts drop right in use existing clip; for the back you have to poke a hole in existing carpet to install a carpet retainer clip to secure rear mats; 3rd row and cargo mat just drop in. Saved $ ordering and doing these simple things myself.

IslandStyle

Reaction score
I ordered running boards, mud flaps and rubber mat set for my new 2011 LR4 through BPUtah. Installed them today, took about 3 hours, partly due to me not being a mechanic, crazy Land Rover instructions with pictures only, no words -- and of course British engineering. For the most part, it was pretty easy, just bolted on once I figured everything out. Some cutting of the lower trim was required to fit trim back over the installed mounting brackets, but I used a Dremel to cut the trim and it worked out fine. Once installed, can't see the cuts anyway unless you are under the car. Running boards look great and are very sturdy. Is something anyone could do if you have the time and patience. Also installed front and rear mudflaps which took about an hour and a half. Front was easy, just screwed right on although it helps if you have a right angle phillips screwdriver and adjust the vehicle height. Back flaps required a mounting bracket (again instructions were less than clear), but once I figured it out it was very easy. Rubber mats were easy, fronts drop right in use existing clip; for the back you have to poke a hole in existing carpet to install a carpet retainer clip to secure rear mats; 3rd row and cargo mat just drop in. Saved $ ordering and doing these simple things myself.

I'd love to see pics if you have them. I am torn b/w the BPUtah running boards and the CarID ROMIKs, which I ordered a month ago but are still backordered. Do the mudflaps get in the way of the running boards? My BP dealer told me they did, so I didn't bother to order at time of pickup, which I regret. Anyhow, thanks in advance.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see pics if you have them. I am torn b/w the BPUtah running boards and the CarID ROMIKs, which I ordered a month ago but are still backordered. Do the mudflaps get in the way of the running boards? My BP dealer told me they did, so I didn't bother to order at time of pickup, which I regret. Anyhow, thanks in advance.

please keep in mind the romiks will require modification. you'll need to shave 1 of the metal brackets on the air tank side or else it'll rub.

my flaps dont get in the way of the bars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39553560@N00/

IslandStyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Charlie. I ordered the same romiks (black). Your ride is sharp, congrats. What kind of tool did you use to shave the metal bracket (I pray it was nothing more than a dremel). I guess it's self evident once you get both flaps and bar installed, yes?

Thanks in advance

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Charlie. I ordered the same romiks (black). Your ride is sharp, congrats. What kind of tool did you use to shave the metal bracket (I pray it was nothing more than a dremel). I guess it's self evident once you get both flaps and bar installed, yes?

Thanks in advance

no, i had to bring it to a shop to get it installed because i didnt have time. they installed it and i drove for a week and heard creaking during certain turns. brought it back and they informed me the bracket was rubbing. they had to shave it using a machine. it's a thick bracket, i dont think a dremel can ********* it enough,

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's also because the bars were designed for the lr3. they moved the air tank for the lr4.

Brep

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures. Front and rear mud flaps do not interfere with running board installation. The Land Rover running boards extend about 6.5" from the car, more than enough rom for sure footing (I did come across some comments in my research on the romiks that they did no seem wide enough).

I did notice the leading edge on the LR running boards are tapered, while the romiks appear not to be. Not sure why, just pointing this out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941344@N06/

IslandStyle

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures. Front and rear mud flaps do not interfere with running board installation. The Land Rover running boards extend about 6.5" from the car, more than enough rom for sure footing (I did come across some comments in my research on the romiks that they did no seem wide enough).

I did notice the leading edge on the LR running boards are tapered, while the romiks appear not to be. Not sure why, just pointing this out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941344@N06/

Thanks for the pics, Brep. I'm really torn as I prefer the nerf bar look of the romiks but not sure if the added hassle of finding a shop to grind the bracket is worth it. I'm really surprised that there aren't more aftermarket mfgs making external accessories for the LR4. Maybe it's too early.....dunno. Oh well, thanks for the assistance.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM running boards and am extremely happy with them. I had the dealer install them. Very useful and helpful with getting in and out of the LR4. They fit perfectly!

baobay, guys... these running boards - how are they in off-road situation, I mean how durable are those, what will happen if I lean a car against a stone lets say... Would they hold, or would they bend, or would they bend all the way damaging the vehicle?

Because of that I could not choose between RBs and those protection tubes...

Any info will be useful! Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax