Service light on, then off , in a couple of seconds . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out to lunch and the light comes on at each start - service required. So my assumption is the time lapse is triggering for oil change or something. Time to make an appointment.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your issue might be, Count. In my case, each of these warning light incidents is accompanied by the stalling of the engine. :rolleyes:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, dropped the Rover (Harriet) off at BMC this morning for my first service. Have 6600k on the clock, but one-year interval kicked in, hence the service required light. They changed the oil, all filters, rotated the tires, did a full inspection, and returned her completely vacuumed and washed (rubber mats too) the right way - free of charge. Was totally impressed as usual with BMC, they did an amazing job!!! I love my LR4 so much...

Last edited:

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well, we got a call from the service department yesterday telling us the replacement Powertrain Control Module had arrived and was being installed in our car. This morning one of the service managers dropped our car off at the house and took away the loaner. That's pretty great service, I must say. However - time will tell if the problem was solved. Here is the description of the work done:

6894 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE WITH INTERNAL ELERCTICAL FAILURE.
UNABLE TO CONFIRM CUSTOMER COMPLAINT. DIAGNOSED AND FOUND P061A-64
(INTERNAL CONTROL MODULE TORQUE PERFORMANCE) AND P1603 (ELECTRICALLY
ERASABLE MEMORY) FAULT CODES STORED. CHECKED FUSES AND BATTERY
CONNECTIONS . . .SECURE. CHECKED BATTERY VOLTAGE . . . GOOD AT 12.70 VOLTS.
CHECKED INTAKE SYSTEM FOR LEAKS . . . NONE FOUND. CHECKED MANIFOLD AIR FLOW
SENSOR . . . SECURE. CALLED LAND ROVER HELPLINE FOR GUIDANCE AND WAS
INSTRUCTED TO CHECK WIRING HARNESS, CONNECTORS, AND TORQUE CONVERTOR
BOLTS . . . CHECKED POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE CONNECTORS, WIRING AND
PINS . . . SECURE. CHECKED TORQUE CONVERTOR BOLTS . . . SECURE. CALLED HELPLINE
WITH FINDINGS AND WAS INSTRUCTED TO INSTALL NEW POWERTRAIN CONTROL
MODULE.MODULE ON BACKORDER. PCM ARRIVED ON 08/15/2011. INSTALLED AND
PROGRAMMED NEW PCM AD ROAD TESTED . . . NO FURTHER MALFUNCTION
DETECTED AFTER REPAIR.

I read this as "in the absence of an actual diagnosis, replace the black box." I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Well, that didn't take long. For the first couple of days the LR4 ran great. But now it's stalling again. Sometimes while on the freeway, sometimes at idle. 5 times just today. Back to the ol' drawing board.:hmpf:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that's sad to hear that it didn't get fixed the first time. Hopefully they are able to resolve it quickly.

I will say that each time my LR4 went to the shop, I had a new BMW to drive as a loaner. They always offered to pick up and drop off each time.

What do you get as a loaner?

Rob

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Thanks Rob,

The first time I took it in for this problem they had my car for most of a month. For much of that time the car languished in the service dept. lot waiting for a new computer. I guess the service mgr. felt it might represent a liability for LR to release a car to us that stalls unexpectedly. We got another LR4 as a loaner though, which bought a lot of good will for the dealer.

I read your farewell post. I also appreciate Rovers for their blend of ruggedness and luxury. To my taste, the balance had swung too far to the side of luxury with the introduction of the new ('03) Range Rover. Current Rovers are too complex. Complexity is the enemy of ruggedness. The LR4 is my wife's car. My daily driving is split between a Defender and a '73 Volkswagen Thing. Problems with those cars are simple to diagnose and repair. I can't imagine selling my Defender, but if I did, I'd be looking for a nice RR County with coil springs replacing the air suspension. :smile:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Captain. I really thought I might get a LR3 or LR2 for a loaner, so I was surprised when I got a 2011 330 XI for a loaner each and every time. A LR4 would have been awesome.

Complexity will certainly be an issue for every brand moving forward.

I'm surprised they haven't bought it back at this point.

Good luck,

Rob

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to surprising, my old LR dealer was a Bimmer dealer too, and they got loaners from a "community" pool.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Another update for those following the saga:

I took the car in again for the stalling issue on 8/25. Today, 8/31, I got a call from the service department. The problem remains undiagnosed, and the head tech is waiting for advice from some higher off-site Land Rover technical authority. Meanwhile we are enjoying our LR2 loaner vehicle.

It's all very disconcerting . . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM