Side Air Intake Cover Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if someone mentioned this before, but has anyone removed their side air intake covers? I have the stock silver and I just got the stock black ones to replace the silver since I am having my wheels powder-coated black.

Any ideas? I see clips on the new ones, but would love to know some tricks/experiences. Thanks!

Regards, David

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull down and out to dislodge the upper clips. Once the upper clips are released, the rest is easy. A plastic putty knife/spatula will help, although I used an old credit card to dislodge the clips. It took me over half an hour to figure out the damn thing on my own.

I painted mine matte black, using scuffing paste, adhesion promoter, several coats of automotive plastic spray paint, then finished with clear coat. I found a matte black front grille from a UK ebay seller. Removing the front grille is a no brainer compared to the side vents.

Attachments

• 20121031_162939.jpg
    20121031_162939.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20121031_163132.jpg
    20121031_163132.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20121031_163118.jpg
    20121031_163118.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 48

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull down and out to dislodge the upper clips. Once the upper clips are released, the rest is easy. A plastic putty knife/spatula will help, although I used an old credit card to dislodge the clips. It took me over half an hour to figure out the damn thing on my own.

I painted mine matte black, using scuffing paste, adhesion promoter, several coats of automotive plastic spray paint, then finished with clear coat. I found a matte black front grille from a UK ebay seller. Removing the front grille is a no brainer compared to the side vents.
Hey nameda,

Your LR4 looks awesome with the black! I ended up buying 2 new side vents, so your instructions are very helpful. Those side vents are really tough to get off - but I will try your method today. I have been looking for a front grill, but my skid plate is aluminum, so not sure it would match that well. I know at least I am going with the black wheels an side vents for now.

Thanks again! I will keep you posted.

-David

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From a white LR4 owner... I like it. Been thinking about painting my side vents black for a little while but now I am going to do it. It looks sharp! Love the black grille also!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM