Siri on Nav in LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sbmargo

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4, with the nav. The other day, we used the iphone5 to get directions, and the audio came through the car speakers, and it even showed the route on the map.
Then yesterday, I did what I thought was the same thing, and the audio was only through the iphone, and the map didn't show the route. What did I do the first time that I didn't do the second time?
I really would like the blank voice button to work to wake up Siri, so I didn't have to break the law by pushing the iphone home button and speaking my request into it. Is there a way to get this done? I know they've posted things about how Land Rover disabled the voice recognition, because it was so non-functional, but that they might reconnect it on certain models. Would they do that to a 2011?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4, with the nav. The other day, we used the iphone5 to get directions, and the audio came through the car speakers, and it even showed the route on the map.
Then yesterday, I did what I thought was the same thing, and the audio was only through the iphone, and the map didn't show the route. What did I do the first time that I didn't do the second time?
I really would like the blank voice button to work to wake up Siri, so I didn't have to break the law by pushing the iphone home button and speaking my request into it. Is there a way to get this done? I know they've posted things about how Land Rover disabled the voice recognition, because it was so non-functional, but that they might reconnect it on certain models. Would they do that to a 2011?
Do you mean the map was on the LCD display on the LR4?

When I push Siri it always comes through the speakers.

Sbmargo

Reaction score
Yes, we were sort of incredulous, but I had done a request for directions "via transit", so that it would go to google maps instead of apple. Lo and behold, it started showing the route on the nav screen. We had to hit the + several times to get it in scale.
The next time, when it didn't go through the audio or the nav screen, I had just asked god directions, so it was apple maps. Maybe google is the answer?
Anybody else able to make this work consistently?

Sbmargo

Reaction score
I didn't ask god for directions. I asked for directions. (Autocorrect!)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how the google map would show on the LR4 navi screen.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - well I have a 2011 as well and I think I have found the right mix...(for me)

I'm using an aftermarket 'LR' iPhone cable (like LR parts bin only from China and 26 bucks)

Bluetooth is on for phone calls BTW

NAV - Waze (avail in the app store and I'm running iPhone 4S)

Music - XM/Pandora/iPod and the like all play fine. Some of the internet apps will let me jump tracks

Now, I just place the phone in the console and forget it. After setting my Waze destination.

Music plays fine

NAV from Waze voice instructions will pass over the speaker while lowering the music volume. If I need any point of reference I can just bring up the LR NAV maps to help visually look ahead as needed.

Additionally, Waze is great at route guidance. It provides enough advance warning as needed for example:

As I approach from approximately a mile out and need to prepare for a turn 'right turn in XX distance'

After I drive for a bit 'prepare to turn right on XX street'

Drive a tad more distance and you will hear her say 'turn right at XX street'

After making the right turn your final direction is ahead 'your destination is XX distance ahead” I think she might even say right or left side, but I don't remember exactly.

Just my 2 cents and good luck.

NWLRFan

Reaction score
Hello - well I have a 2011 as well and I think I have found the right mix...(for me)

I'm using an aftermarket 'LR' iPhone cable (like LR parts bin only from China and 26 bucks)

Bluetooth is on for phone calls BTW

NAV - Waze (avail in the app store and I'm running iPhone 4S)

Music - XM/Pandora/iPod and the like all play fine. Some of the internet apps will let me jump tracks

Now, I just place the phone in the console and forget it. After setting my Waze destination.

Music plays fine

NAV from Waze voice instructions will pass over the speaker while lowering the music volume. If I need any point of reference I can just bring up the LR NAV maps to help visually look ahead as needed.

Additionally, Waze is great at route guidance. It provides enough advance warning as needed for example:

As I approach from approximately a mile out and need to prepare for a turn 'right turn in XX distance'

After I drive for a bit 'prepare to turn right on XX street'

Drive a tad more distance and you will hear her say 'turn right at XX street'

After making the right turn your final direction is ahead 'your destination is XX distance ahead” I think she might even say right or left side, but I don't remember exactly.

Just my 2 cents and good luck.

So what are you using the cable for? Is the phone using Bluetooth and an iPod using the cable?

Sbmargo

Reaction score
All the iphone apps are great, Apple maps, Google maps, Waze, etc., but the driver still has to pick up the phone to ask Siri to dial a number or get a direction. In California, where I am, that's breaking the law and subject to a very expensive ticket.

I'll try to recreate the iphone's navigation being shown on the LR4 Nav screen. If I have time, I'll figure it out. When I do, I'll post it here. If anyone else gets it before I do, please post here, too. That was ideal, although I still had to touch the iphone to call up Siri.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90