SoCal Trails With Most Bang for the Buck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverAllOver

Reaction score
So I have a stock 2003 Disco and I just moved to southern California. I want to spend some time exploring the mountains around here but I don't really want to dump a bunch of money into off-road mods. Are there any trails down here that would be fun in a stock Disco? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy, just looking to get lost for an afternoon. Thanks in advance!

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a stock 2003 Disco and I just moved to southern California. I want to spend some time exploring the mountains around here but I don't really want to dump a bunch of money into off-road mods. Are there any trails down here that would be fun in a stock Disco? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy, just looking to get lost for an afternoon. Thanks in advance!

I've tried almost every guidebook and app out there. Still the best, easiest to use for me is the Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells and Matt Peterson. They have a great easy/moderate/difficult rating system that I find mostly accurate. Available in print and online (kindle) and app-based (at least IOS). Highly recommended. That plus Google Offline maps on your tablet/phone will get you a long way (and keep you found too.)

I'm currently wandering around Anza Borrego desert as I write this, BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where exactly in SoCal?

Some IE trails that interest me (I am also new to this):
- Cleghorn Ridge Trail (2N47)
- Burns Canyon (2N02)
- Old City Creek Road (1N09)
- Big Pine Flat Trail (3N16)
- Gold Fever Trail (2N09)

The one I have done so far:
- Bee Canyon to Indian Creek (Closed til May 2020)

Good luck!

KMET

Reaction score
I know this post is old, but.... Parts of Cleghorn would likely cause body damage.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Went on - Burns Canyon (2N02) with some friends - had a blast!
Great trail from Pioneertown up to Baldwin Lake.

Highly recommended!

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells and Matt Peterson

It was stated before, but it is worth repeating. It’s an excellent book to have with you. Full of good advice and information on so many trails.

My favorite spot for local day trips is the backside of Lake Arrowhead. Keep going past the gun range…eventually you’ll run into the entrance for the Staging Area.

Also, I’d like to recommend to you Southern California Land Rover Club.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut