Some suspension fault codes this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after a day of rebuilding the center and rear valve blocks, I'm right back exactly where I was this morning. Same two error codes.

C1A13-64 Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure

C1A36-01 Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electric failure

After I installed the rebuilt rear valve block, I took the car off the jackstands and the whole thing was on the bumpstops, as it should be. But then I started the car to see the same error message. Cleared the code, let it sit for a bit, watched it as (thankfully) it went back up to at least access height, then immediately when I hit the button for it to go to normal height, the orange triangle returned.

It's got to be an electric issue. It's almost as if the ride-height button is a button that activates the dash warning light--it's that instant.

Looking at this old thread: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/suspension-fault-c1a36-01.29216/, looks like the same problem I'm having (and the poster did the same thing I already did trying to chase the problem). His wound up being a worn wire. I have no idea how to even begin looking for something like that, so this thing might be mechanic bound. Hell, maybe even dealer bound, as I'm not sure I know an indie who can deep-diagnose an issue like this.

Man! That sucks. I’m sorry I steered you wrong here. Did you try a hard reset of the truck? I’m wondering if you’re chasing a ghost in the electrical system, or if it is really electrical. Did you check all suspension relays?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after a day of rebuilding the center and rear valve blocks, I'm right back exactly where I was this morning. Same two error codes.

C1A13-64 Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure

C1A36-01 Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electric failure

After I installed the rebuilt rear valve block, I took the car off the jackstands and the whole thing was on the bumpstops, as it should be. But then I started the car to see the same error message. Cleared the code, let it sit for a bit, watched it as (thankfully) it went back up to at least access height, then immediately when I hit the button for it to go to normal height, the orange triangle returned.

It's got to be an electric issue. It's almost as if the ride-height button is a button that activates the dash warning light--it's that instant.

Looking at this old thread: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/suspension-fault-c1a36-01.29216/, looks like the same problem I'm having (and the poster did the same thing I already did trying to chase the problem). His wound up being a worn wire. I have no idea how to even begin looking for something like that, so this thing might be mechanic bound. Hell, maybe even dealer bound, as I'm not sure I know an indie who can deep-diagnose an issue like this.

ryan,

looked back through your first post and it looks like a ride level control module fault was present on the first go round...Is that still present? If so, may be worth a re-flash of the ride level control module. At minimum, maybe a vehicle reset using your gap tool?

I’m no expert but wondering if you had a physical obstruction that caused the ecm to not know how to interpret data. Just a guess at this point....

I’d try all the inexpensive tools I had before involving a mechanic- but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Feel free to pm me if you want to spitball some more.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the ride level control fault was there. When I clear the codes, though, only the C1A codes return immediately, but not the ride control module fault. After I drive for a little bit, though, the ride control one returns.

Could be a fault with that module, I guess. It makes the most sense with the symptoms. No warning light appeared at all until I tried to lower the suspension to access height in my work parking garage. When I pressed that down button, the warning light dinged-on immediately.

I'll mess around doing things with the GAP tool all this week. I doubt I'd be able to get into a mechanic anywhere until the week after this one anyway.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. Just went out and tried a whole vehicle reset with the GAP tool.

Now I only have one error message:

U3000-52 (AF) Control module - System Programming failure - not activated.

If I want to target the ride level control module, do I do the ECU Reflash for AMK Compressor? I know that's the compressor I have, but just not sure if that reflashes the entire control module ECU.

There are a few warnings when I start to head down that route that if that reflash fails, the vehicle will be undrivable. That's a risky click.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very helpful info. My sense is the two codes that come first are the cause of your control module fault later. Not the other way around, so doubtful that a reflash would fix.

Let me revisit the codes in the wsm and see what other insights it provides- if any.

Re: reflash, this would be a good question for Patrick at gap support. He’s amazingly helpful. I’m assuming the risk is rather low but don’t want to advise on something I know little about. And not fully sure it would help. He also may help you drill down to a solution on your codes.

I have reflashed modules with that warning and never had an issue but again, don’t want to steer you wrong- and risk to benefit ratio doesn’t quite warrant that yet based on what you just shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, given the order in which the codes appeared, I think the control module fault is a red herring and shows up as a result of the other errors.

The good news is the vehicle sits at ride height now and I can drive it around just fine. When I start it, the orange triangle dings and the in-dash error states that the suspension is not in customer mode. As soon as I start driving, it flashes that "normal height is selected." After that, nothing but the orange triangle. I like this a lot better than what it was doing, which was continuously telling me not to drive over 30mph, a chime that would happen each and every time I either sped past or slowed past 30mph.

I'll email Patrick at gap and see what he says.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, given the order in which the codes appeared, I think the control module fault is a red herring and shows up as a result of the other errors.

The good news is the vehicle sits at ride height now and I can drive it around just fine. When I start it, the orange triangle dings and the in-dash error states that the suspension is not in customer mode. As soon as I start driving, it flashes that "normal height is selected." After that, nothing but the orange triangle. I like this a lot better than what it was doing, which was continuously telling me not to drive over 30mph, a chime that would happen each and every time I either sped past or slowed past 30mph.

I'll email Patrick at gap and see what he says.

interesting...i know there’s a tight tolerance mode you can switch on for alignments. Have you tried to switch that off? Let us know what you find.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting...i know there’s a tight tolerance mode you can switch on for alignments. Have you tried to switch that off? Let us know what you find.

Yep. Don't think I've ever turned tight tolerance mode on, but I tried turning it off once already today. I might go mess with it some more tonight, though.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Don't think I've ever turned tight tolerance mode on, but I tried turning it off once already today. I might go mess with it some more tonight, though.

Yes, that’s what’s odd to me. Should be in normal mode but it’s registering that it’s in a non-customer mode. That’s not normal operation after a reset.

I’m somewhat out of ideas. Hopefully Patrick can help. He’s not always right, but he’s definitely a good resource.

I might try one more hard reset on the truck. If all else fails, my next move might be a suspension ecm reflash (especially if there have been no previous updates to that module).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA